Login ( public and admin users )

Tom Brughmans

May 6, 2009, 7:23:28 AM5/6/09
to arkusers
Looking at the Prescot Street example is seems that an ARK site can
automatically go to a PUBLIC mode rather than asking for a login. How
can I bypass the login for the general public who are just able to
view and query data, while still allowing ADMINS to login and edit
data.

Thanks
Tom

Tom Brughmans

May 12, 2009, 9:27:13 AM5/12/09
to arkusers
Just to be sure people don't make the same mistake I did I'm adding a
few lines to the answer Stuart gave me concerning anonymous logins
(below):
In the settings.php file the anonymous login section is uncommented by
default (version 0.6), so you don't really have to touch these lines.
For it to work properly, however, I had to add a username
'anon' (through PHPmyadmin cor_tbl_users, or ARK) with a password
'anon'. I entered 'Guest' as the first name so I get a nice welcome
message when someone visits the site. I then added some links to the
data-view pages in the index.php file so the guest could go straight
to the interesting stuff without having to log in (simmilar to Prescot
street site).
The settings.php file mentions that the anonymous user doesn't have to
be a real user ('//Bear in mind that this does not need to be a real
user.'). Does this mean that I didn't have to create a user and that
there is an easier way of getting public logins?

Tom

May 12, 2009, 9:40:35 AM5/12/09
to arku...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this Tom

Looks like the inline comments in settings.php are wrong!

I have just updated the settings.php in the SVN for the next release
to reflect this.

Stu