ARK PID's for the Library of the University of Amsterdam

Lukas Koster

Nov 5, 2020, 4:36:35 AM11/5/20
to ARKs

I am happy to announce that the Library of the University of Amsterdam just went live with ARK PID's for the collections in our Alma Catalogue. Some background information here: https://purl.org/cpl/3110

Lukas Koster

Project Manager/Digital Infrastructure Coordinator

Digital Services Division

Library of the University of Amsterdam

John Kunze

Nov 10, 2020, 8:05:05 PM11/10/20
to ARKs
Congratulations, Lukas, and thanks for sharing this milestone! Do you have an idea of how many ARKs have been assigned?

I enjoyed reading the details in the background information link. It mentions object pairs (a physical object and a digital object) and I wondered: does the cluster (pair) itself get an ARK? If it did (let's call it X), then were you thinking of using Suffix Passthrough (eg, via n2t.net) to get 2 more ARKs from just registering X (eg, X/Y for the digital and X/Z for the physical)?

Lukas Koster

Nov 11, 2020, 3:35:51 AM11/11/20
to arks-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John.
At the moment we have I think around 4 million items in our Alma catalogue, almost all of which have an ARK. Technically these ARKs are not "assigned", because we use template based PIDs and redirection.

The cluster of physical and digital object does not have an ARK of its own at the moment, because that is practically not possible in the current set up. But it is an interesting idea for future developments.

Lukas Koster