question about n2t.net resolution

Bridget Almas

Nov 17, 2020, 5:01:24 PM11/17/20
to ARKs
Hi

I'm contemplating using ARKs for a dataset I'd like to make available as LOD and I'm a little unclear on the circumstances under which N2T.et would resolve those identifiers. The FAQ says:

"...Second, even if N2T knows nothing about an individual identifier, resolution may still work because of a stored routing rule record triggered by the type of the identifier. N2T maintains over 3500 rule records regularly updated from several sources, including the NAAN registry, a database of ARK and DOI shoulders, and a formal partnership on compact identifiers with identifiers.org."

Does this mean that if I can include a URL mapping rule when I request an entry in the NAAN registry N2T.net will be able to resolve it? And if so, what are the specs for the URL mapping rules? Or do I really need to go through (and pay for) the EZID service to get global resolution of the ARKs?

Thanks
Bridget Almas

Greg Janée

Nov 17, 2020, 5:49:18 PM11/17/20
to arks-...@googlegroups.com
You can set up a NAAN-level redirect as long as it follows a simple substitution pattern. To look a concrete example, here's a NAAN entry:

ark:/20775:
date: 2004.06.02
manager: n2t
na_policy: NP | (:unkn) unknown | 2004 |
name: University of California San Diego (=) UCSD
redirect: http://libraries.ucsd.edu/ark:$id
type: naan

The effect of the above is that https://n2t.net/ark:/20775/anything gets redirected to http://libraries.ucsd.edu/ark:/20775/anything.

-Greg

Bridget Almas

Nov 17, 2020, 7:01:17 PM11/17/20
to arks-...@googlegroups.com

Great, thank you!

Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro

Nov 18, 2020, 10:37:35 AM11/18/20
to arks-...@googlegroups.com
El 17/11/20 a las 16:01, Bridget Almas escribió:> Does this mean that if
I can include a URL mapping rule when I request
> an entry in the NAAN registry N2T.net will be able to resolve it? And if
> so, what are the specs for the URL mapping rules? Or do I really need to
> go through (and pay for) the EZID service to get global resolution of
> the ARKs?

By default n2t.net has no knowledge about individual ARKs. It redirects
all ARKs with your NAAN to your resolver. You state the prefix for your
resolver at the time of registration.

E.g.: If you are given NAAN 99999 and your resolver prefix is
<https://example.org>, then <https://n2t.net/ark:99999/x9fuvt> will
redirect to <https://example.org/ark:99999/x9fuvt>. n2t.net has no
knowledge of whether <ark:99999/x9fuvt> is assigned nor what it is
assigned to. In the next step your own resolver is supposed to redirect
to the final destination, a landing page with metadata about that ARK,
or display an “ARK not found” message.

n2t.net also offers a service where they keep track of your individual
ARKs. Then you do not need a resolver of your own and the prefix in the
NAAN registry for organization NAAN is listed as https://n2t.net . I do
not run nor profit from this service.