Request for new NAAN

Aravinda Baliga

Nov 16, 2019, 10:54:37 AM11/16/19
to ARKs
Hello Guys,

I am a student and I have a seminar related to ARK topic. I need to show a demo related to ARK hence I need the NAAN for that but as per what I have read on the internet NAAN is provided only for the organizations.
Can I still request for the NAAN and get it?

Best Regards,

Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro «Ksenia»

Nov 16, 2019, 11:40:25 AM11/16/19
to arks-...@googlegroups.com
El 16/11/19 a las 9:54, Aravinda Baliga escribió:
The NAAN 12345 is reserved for examples. If you need to set up a local
resolver you can use the NAAN 12345 with the caveat that these ARKs will
only be resolvable locally from your resolver. If you need a globally
resolvable example you can use any ARK that you trust to remain working
for the period of your seminar. For example
<https://n2t.net/ark:/13030/c7cv4br18> points to the official ARK
specification.

signature.asc

Aravinda Baliga

Nov 16, 2019, 4:27:44 PM11/16/19
to ARKs
Thanks a lot for the reply.
Is there a way to test out the ARK for the local files in my system?
For example, I have a file/resource in my local system and I will assign it an Name is there a way to test it out and see if the ARK is still pointing to the same file even if I change the folder and place it somewhere else?
Can you please provide me explanation on how to implement such a thing?

Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro «Ksenia»

Nov 16, 2019, 5:37:13 PM11/16/19
to arks-...@googlegroups.com

See Noid <https://metacpan.org/pod/distribution/Noid/noid>.

> For example, I have a file/resource in my local system and I will assign
> it an Name is there a way to test it out and see if the ARK is still
> pointing to the same file even if I change the folder and place it
> somewhere else?
> Can you please provide me explanation on how to implement such a thing?

I think you misunderstood the function of the ARK system. The ARK system
main function is to provide infrastructure that you as a system
administrator can use to offer stable URIs for resources you publish or
curate. It does not relieve your task as the system administrator from
keeping the location of your resources up to date.

ARK resolution is currently implemented through HTTP redirects. The
central N2T resolver redirects all requests for ARKs within a NAAN to
the HTTP resolver registered by the NAAN in the registry
<https://n2t.net/e/pub/naan_registry.txt>. From that point it is the
duty of the NAA to render the resource, redirect to its current location
or display an error message if it does not exist.

signature.asc

John Kunze

Nov 16, 2019, 5:45:25 PM11/16/19
to ARKs
ARKs, just like other persistent identifier schemes, require you to set and maintain a forwarding ("target") URL. If the content moves such that the original forwarding URL no longer reaches it, you will need to update the ARK record (you can do that with test ARKs in EZID) so that the originally published and advertised ARK URL continues to work. (No system tracks moving content automatically.)

So to test it out, create a test ARK in EZID and point it to a file on your server. Test that the ARK URL resolves. Then move the file and watch the ARK stop resolving. Then update the forwarding URL at EZID and watch the ARK start to work again.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 1:27 PM Aravinda Baliga <basv...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks a lot for the reply.
Is there a way to test out the ARK for the local files in my system?
For example, I have a file/resource in my local system and I will assign it an Name is there a way to test it out and see if the ARK is still pointing to the same file even if I change the folder and place it somewhere else?
Can you please provide me explanation on how to implement such a thing?

John Kunze

Nov 16, 2019, 6:21:08 PM11/16/19
to ARKs
I saw Mario's response only after I sent mine. I think our responses are in agreement.

John Kunze

Nov 19, 2019, 5:01:28 PM11/19/19
to arks-...@googlegroups.com
An easier option, because you don't need to set up a resolver or request a NAAN, is to go to ezid.cdlib.org and create some "test" ARKs by hand. Anyone can do this.

Test ARKs from EZID use the NAAN 99999 and they remain resolvable for about two weeks.