Full registration is now open for the 2021 IIIF Annual Conference

Julien A. Raemy

May 5, 2021, 11:00:24 AM5/5/21
to ARKs
Dear all,

We are happy to announce that full registration is now open for the 2021 IIIF Annual Conference, taking place June 22-24 online. Registration is free, and the full program is available on the event webpage:

https://iiif.io/event/2021/annual_conference/#2021-iiif-annual-conference-june-22-24-online

This year’s event features multiple tracks, with 70+ presentations, discussions, and lightning talks covering all aspects of IIIF, from its use in teaching to machine learning and beyond.

Registration closes June 15th. Please reach out to us at eve...@iiif.io with any questions.

On behalf of the 2021 Program Committee,

----

Julien A. Raemy · Assistant and PhD Candidate in Digital Humanities · https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4711-5759

University of Basel · Digital Humanities Lab · Bernoullistrasse 32 · CH-4056 Basel · Switzerland

Julie Carmen

May 5, 2021, 5:59:23 PM5/5/21
to arks-...@googlegroups.com
Those who are not familiar with IIIF would appreciate the acronym to be spelled out.

Thank you,

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups ARKs group. To post to this group, send email to arks-...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to arks-forum+...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/arks-forum?hl=en
---

Julien A. Raemy

May 6, 2021, 5:44:00 AM5/6/21
to ARKs
Dear Julie,

Thank you for your message.

IIIF stands for International Image Interoperability Framework. As it is not the first time that I post about IIIF on this forum, I didn't feel the need to do it, but you are right any acronyms should be spelled out. I will be more careful.

All the best,
Julien

John Kunze

May 6, 2021, 11:26:16 AM5/6/21
to ARKs
Since Julien's original message was from almost 2 years ago, I'm reposting it below. It references the congruence between ARKs and IIIF identifiers.

--------------
On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 1:36 AM Julien A. Raemy <julien...@gmail.com> wrote:
Basically, the IIIF Image API delivers the pixels of an image in a simple and intuitive way that easily specifies the region, size, rotation, quality characteristics and format of the requested image.
  • The URI syntax is: {scheme}://{server}{/prefix}/{identifier}/{region}/{size}/{rotation}/{quality}.{format}
  • and the Information URI Syntax (in JSON) is {scheme}://{server}{/prefix}/{identifier}/info.json
In addition to the Image API, IIIF has also developed the Presentation API which provides just enough data about digital assets and their structure to drive a viewer experience. In IIIF jargon, we talk about canvases for images and manifests for digital objects (which are in a way the glue that structures all canvases together). The latter is also serialised in JSON.

  • IIIF recommends this URI pattern: {scheme}://{host}/{prefix}/{identifier}/manifest

ARK and IIIF URIs can easily be used together because IIIF is simply an extension giving more precise information about the region of interest of a given image (or soon of an audiovisual resource with API versions 3.0).

Gallica had also achieved in part what IIIF wanted to establish by using ARK qualifiers. For instance, this folio 42:

Other examples from the BnF:

Julie Carmen

May 6, 2021, 4:17:54 PM5/6/21
to arks-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the kind response.  I always thinks of how to find more members and this is one way; by always identifying the organization🙂

Kind regards,

Julie