Should we have our own resolver?

Christopher Rauch

Oct 21, 2020, 2:05:30 PM10/21/20
to ARKs

Hello, I would like to confirm my understanding of ARK resolvers. It seems from the documentation that the scheme relies on many individual institutional resolvers. In the FAQ this is addressed specifically, but it seams like most everyone is relying on the n2t.net resolver. I want to make sure I interpret the future direction since this is an evolving standard.

I am trying to answer the legitimate question as whether we should expend the resources to maintain one and correspondingly an internal minting service. Also, I see in the noid documentation that it can be used as a name resolver behind a web server but also that ArchivesSpace is starting to provide this service. How is everyone doing this?

Thank you for your time.

John Kunze

Nov 6, 2020, 9:42:35 PM11/6/20
to ARKs
Hi Chris,

I don't know if others have responded privately, but here are a few thoughts. I would say that most people creating ARKs are not publishing them in URLs based at N2T.net, nor is there any discernible trend that looks to be converging on using either N2T or a local resolver. ArchivesSpace is using their own resolver, but they are publishing ARKs in URLs based at N2T (I think), which is sensible if you're not certain of the stability of your local resolver's hostname.

Running your own resolver might sound hard, but it can be combined with the server that's hosting content. Running a minter is simpler than running a resolver. It can be done with noid or with any application that produces unique id strings (eg, a counter) each time it is called.

Hope that helps,

-John