one NAAN for multiple organisations [was Re: [arks] Multiple NAANs for one organisation ]

John Kunze

May 7, 2020, 2:18:47 PM5/7/20
to jl.o...@free.fr, Lukas Koster, ARKs
It may not be necessary to modify your NAAN. It's common practice to create collections that bring in and add value to items from different sources, in which case these enriched items are "yours" and should have your own NAAN in the name. Ideally, however, the library and the museums in your town would each obtain a NAAN so that their items would have ARKs.

One practice that is discouraged is to create and manage identifiers for things that are not really in your collection, but only link out to external collections (sometimes this is called the "our stuff" versus "their stuff" problem). Such practice could be hard to sustain and could confuse things by adding duplicate identifiers.

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 5:15 AM jl.o...@free.fr <jl.o...@free.fr> wrote:
Hi,
I don't know, but I was wondering if the opposite was possible: our catalog contains records from one library and 2 museums in our town, and a lot of records have holdings in several different institutions. Can we modify the NAAN declaration to cover 3?
Best regards,

Jean-Louis Oneto
Envoyé de mon mobile LG