questions about editing locations & reporting

Linda Lewis

Sep 2, 2016, 10:47:14 AM9/2/16
to arisgames
I'm making my first game, a tour of our large animal hospital for our students.  I have a few GPS based locations in the game.  However, when I try to adjust those locations by dragging the red pin, the location change does not save.  I have tried to move the pin in both the trigger map and in the Locations map but the change will not save.  If the browser matters, I'm using Safari for editing because I couldn't change the location from the default WI location at all in Firefox. I have let ARIS access my location when prompted.  Any help would be appreciated.

My next question has to do with reporting. The games are required for a course and I have no idea how I can tell who has played the game and who has completed it.  I haven't found anything in the documentation about what, if anything, is reported the the game creator about player stats/usage.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Linda

michae...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2016, 11:27:42 AM9/8/16
to arisgames
Hi Linda,

Not sure if you've resolved your first issue or not, but when you're on the Scenes tab and select a Trigger, scroll down on the right side and click Save to update the Trigger info. That should be reflected when you view your game on the Locations tab. Do you have a functional game or are you still in the site selection phase? If you google a bit and peruse links to/from this board, you'll find many helpful resources compiled by Chris Holden that provide a sort of tutorial on designing in ARIS. I'd definitely refer you to those resources. Start small and build out.

I cannot answer your question on reporting, but I share your interest in tracking player usage. If you include some kind of points system in your game, you can get a surrogate for your users if you build in a leaderboard. That will show you the users names of the top ten scorers who have played your game and not yet reset it on their device. So if your course is smaller than ten, that will work. Otherwise, I do not have an answer.

Cheers!

Christopher Holden

Sep 8, 2016, 11:46:04 AM9/8/16
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Also if your default game location is not sticking, try setting it (and hitting save) in the game settings meeting.

You are part of the ARIS authoring discussion group.
To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com

michae...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2016, 12:13:30 PM9/8/16
to arisgames, michae...@gmail.com
Another thought about tracking your users--force them to post something in Notebook. That way at least you as the teacher can track that they've been there. You can view those posts when you are using the game editor. You can't automagically track them, but you can force them to provide game feedback that proves they've been at place X.