Available AR game-creation platforms

EdTech Gr

Oct 6, 2016, 11:38:23 AM10/6/16
to arisgames
Hi everyone!

Being already a ARIS-editor user and having created a number of educational AR games for my students, I admit that it is one of the best existing AR game-designing platforms available for non-developers.

However, after practising quite a while, I am now at a point that I want more tools, more options to bust my creativity

ARIS has some limitations ( propably analysed in previous posts, I am gonna spear the details) such IOS only and indoor navigation.

There's also Tale Blazer which also has some pros & cons (also analysed before)

1)Does anyone know any other AR platforms?

2) I ve noticed the option of iBeacons for indoor navigations? However,are they trustworhty? Are they providing a map-like navigation like GPS or act like a QR code when user reach the specific location?

Thx in advance!

Christopher Holden

Oct 6, 2016, 12:18:02 PM10/6/16
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Excellent question. There is need a thread from a couple years ago where we listed some other platforms. https://groups.google.com/d/msg/arisgames/-Oog3IFFjZs/2kJxv1hy6SkJ
You may also find other mentions by searching for a platform like Taleblazer in our forum.

Taleblazer certainly has cross platform, as well as some other differences that may make it enticing. I've had students who have really liked it. I've personally never gotten to where the blocky stuff feels natural to me.

Some things you may or may not know about ARIS:
*Android support is coming. CASLS at the University of Oregon is hoping to have something for us soon.
*Pretty much any text field in ARIS can be extended with HTML and Javascript.

Aurasma comes up from time to time. It does the camera recognition thing, but it fairly shallow after that.

FreshAir has some nice interface elements, but its licensing terms makes it hard to use in the situations I'm in.

I always loved what NoTours could do with audio, but didn't stick with it myself enough to get something cool up and running.

I'd also say that AR, to my mind, is a pretty general thing, and lots of things that would not be advertised as AR would appeal to me as a creator.

What else are people using and interested in?

You are part of the ARIS authoring discussion group.
To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com

Elizabeth Folta

Oct 6, 2016, 12:35:11 PM10/6/16
to aris...@googlegroups.com

I honestly love the bells and whistles that ARIS has that other platforms don’t, but I honestly mainly use TaleBlazer at the moment. There are many things I wish I could do with the platform that I can’t currently. And the block design system can honestly be a pain at times. Number one error that I find for myself and my students is that the blocks looked linked but aren’t.  There are two main reasons why I use it over ARIS currently. 1) You can play 100% offline. This is huge for the park settings I am using it in which don’t always have cellular or wi-fi. Or classroom situations so I don’t have to pay for data plans for the phones I use. 2) The Android capability. We are relying on visitors to use their own phones.

If I had these capabilities in ARIS I would be back in a heartbeat. While, I use TaleBlazer more often because it works for me. I honestly miss what I can do in ARIS that I can’t do in TaleBlazer. TaleBlazer is more limiting in my opinion.

Just my two cents.

Beth Folta, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor of Informal Biology Education

SUNY- College of Environmental Science and Forestry

356 Illick Hall

(315)-470-4938

efo...@esf.edu

merged logos

You are part of the ARIS authoring discussion group.
To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "arisgames" group.

Dana Atwood-Blaine

Oct 6, 2016, 2:17:51 PM10/6/16
to aris...@googlegroups.com
I am also familiar with TaleBlazer and all of the other location-based/AR tools mentioned, and feel that ARIS has far more flexibility than any of the others.  That being said, I have wanted to be able to play ARIS games totally offline many times.  I also work with kids using sets of iPads owned by institutions in formal and informal educational settings.  Wi-fi is often poor and cellular is a costly hassle, even though I specifically purchased iPads with cellular capability for this very reason.
It is VERY exciting to hear that ARIS for Android may actually be in the works.  But just as exciting for me was that at the ARIS summit two summers ago there was talk about potential to take an ARIS game completely offline.  What ever happened with those developments?

Thanks for all you do ARIS team!   Without you, my work wouldn't be nearly as much fun!

--Dana

You are part of the ARIS authoring discussion group.
To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com

You are part of the ARIS authoring discussion group.
To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com

David Gagnon

Oct 6, 2016, 2:58:46 PM10/6/16
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Good question about offline.

We are SO close, but SO far. We were really hoping to release it this las summit but there are still little inconsistencies between games that work offline and games that will have issues.

We really need to get a project or grant that allows us to rebuild a bunch of the way ARIS talks to the server to start with the assumption of offline as the norm and networking as a feature.

David

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Elizabeth Folta <efo...@esf.edu> wrote:

[...]

<image003.jpg>

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "arisgames" group.

Christopher Holden

Oct 6, 2016, 3:20:19 PM10/6/16
to aris...@googlegroups.com
What is the current state of how the network options work? I saw recently that we are down to two options from 4.