New Factories not working in 2.0

Chris Holden

Mar 10, 2015, 1:38:41 PM3/10/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com

Has anyone else been able to get factories working in ARIS? I don't have any locks set but nothing shows up. Here's a screenshot of my settings. Maybe this is related to problems of percentage that people were seeing on import. IDK but that's my next troubleshooting attempt.

Chris Holden

Mar 10, 2015, 3:09:37 PM3/10/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Okay after some troubleshooting, I seem to be able to get them working: a couple things I discovered:

1. Factories need triggers to work. This seems simple, everything needs triggers, but as complicated as factories are, I forgot that.
2. Setting a factory with no locks I thought would help me to troubleshoot them, but I found that I wasn't able to get them to work until I reinstated the locks I had originally intended. When I had no locks, some triggers were being generated in the editor, but not on the client (super weird).
3. Expire when viewed does not seem to be working. I have plaques on the screen for at least several minutes after viewing them.
4. "Objects expire after" does not seem to be working. I have a 90s fuse, and these same triggers are staring me in the face minutes later.

Eleni Kolovou

Mar 10, 2015, 4:52:04 PM3/10/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing, Chris!
I have also encountered similar problems migrating spawn settings into factories - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/arisgames/factories/arisgames/qvPmm-HCdsg/SvCBbYthv5oJ
plus the items that factories create are not "pickable". We will deal with that using plaques changing the player's inventory see how that works. Did you give factory generated items a try?
Hope factories get fixed soon!

Chris Holden

Mar 11, 2015, 9:33:00 AM3/11/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
I almost never put items on the map anyway, but I'll give it a go. It's a bit more work on my end to deliver through plaques etc. but usually a lot cleaner interactions for my players.

Thanks for the update on your end.

David Gagnon

Mar 11, 2015, 2:29:26 PM3/11/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
We are looking into factories this week and should have a fix in place shortly. Thanks for all the troubleshooting help.

David

> On Mar 11, 2015, at 8:33 AM, Chris Holden <chris.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I almost never put items on the map anyway, but I'll give it a go. It's a bit more work on my end to deliver through plaques etc. but usually a lot cleaner interactions for my players.
>
> Thanks for the update on your end.
>
> --
> --
> You are part of the ARIS authoring discussion group.
> To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com

Michael Kasumovic

Mar 13, 2015, 12:11:18 AM3/13/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
Like Chris, I'm a huge fan of factories and use them quite a lot in may games.
Unfortunately, I can't get them to work either. I however, seem to have a different set of problems, so thought I'sd post them here.

I've added the necessary triggers and when looking at the location map in Chrome, the items are appearing. The problem is that the items don't appear in the app when you're playing the game. As a result, the players never see the items.

I have, however, been able to make conversations appear. Because that worked, I decided to make converstion that gives you the item that the players required.
The good news is that the object limit worked and when the conversation was viewed, the item was given to the player.
The bad news is that the conversations didn't disappear either through the 'expire when viewed' option or the 'objects expire after'

A current workaround I'm going to use is that you can erase individual conversations from the 'Scenes', and then new ones spawn from the factory. As I'm playing a short game (~20mins), this is what I'll do to get around it.

Hope this helps any others out there.
If anyone has any other ideas, please post!
Michael

Christopher Holden

Mar 16, 2015, 12:54:25 AM3/16/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Nice workarounds Michael. I have still had the same problems with generated triggers from factories never disappearing.

You are part of the ARIS authoring discussion group.
To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com

Christopher Holden

Mar 16, 2015, 1:08:43 AM3/16/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Further, when I now launch a game with factories from a new location, new triggers are never created around me. It's as if their presence near me is still returning as TRUE. I tried resetting my progress and all that. I also thought to log out and rejoin the game from another account. Since I had set the factory to generate per player, I had hoped to see new triggers at this very distant location. No luck.

The triggers from last week are still there, far, far away. So there are two problems with factory triggers disappearing:

1) They don't disappear when their timer runs out.
2) They don't disappear when viewed (if selected).

There is also a problem with the determination of whether there needs to be new triggers generated.

Basically, it seems like factories are pretty broken at the moment. The only part that seems to work is the initial generation.

I notice that neither me nor anyone else has built a test game for factories and documented it on the ARIS QA page on the manual. I'm totally slammed right now, but maybe someone could follow the idea of the other QA games and get one up and running for the dev that would help them go through factories. PM me if you need access to edit that page of the manual.

David Gagnon

Mar 16, 2015, 8:36:01 AM3/16/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for being tardy to the party. Last week we were pushing for a number of client fixes so we could get it out on the app store as soon as possible. This week, we will be diving into fixing these factory bugs. These last few emails really help. Here is what I have so far:

1. Factories don’t seem to be creating objects other than conversations correctly
2. Factories are not being removed when timer runs out or when they are set to be removed on being viewed.

Does that sound right?

David

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "arisgames" group.

Christopher Holden

Mar 16, 2015, 12:15:18 PM3/16/15
to aris...@googlegroups.com
That's pretty much it. Also, I've been able to initially generate plaques, but subsequent generation by the same player or by new players, in the same location or far removed, is not happening.

Chris Holden

Bernadette Perry

Aug 4, 2016, 8:10:01 PM8/4/16
to arisgames
Hi all, I know I am a bit late to the party but I also have a couple of questions about spawning- while play-testing some quests we noticed a few things...first loading the scene with spawning requires pressing the continue button 3-6ish times before it finally loads. I would guess this is because the content is loading, however it does not seem to be time based but actually requires you to hit the continue button several times.
Second even though the "Expire when viewed" is checked, several times while playing an element would act like it was stuck in a loop- just keep reappearing each time I hit continue or back... we've got enemies taking a single item from the player when encountered, but with this bug it ends up taking an item each time it reopens the enemy plaque, resulting in all items lost in a single encounter (obviously not the intended outcome). It is less troublesome for the item spawning as it simply doesn't allow you to leave the item menu until you are out of the interactivity radius (does not give the player infinite copies of the item as we are not using plaques as a medium to give them). Thanks for any and all help in advance, Bernadette
To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "arisgames" group.

You are part of the ARIS authoring discussion group.
To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com

You are part of the ARIS authoring discussion group.
To post: email aris...@googlegroups.com

Bernadette Perry

Aug 4, 2016, 8:21:46 PM8/4/16
to arisgames
Oh one more thing! The spawning radius seems to be way larger than what I've set- as in spawning 80m away when I set the max to be 25m, this tends to make play-testing more difficult lol. I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem & knows a possible fix?
thanks!
Bernadette

Christopher Holden

Aug 5, 2016, 11:23:02 AM8/5/16
to aris...@googlegroups.com
I don't know that I can help with everything but let's see:

For the spawned triggers not disappearing: try "cloud dependent" as the Network option in game settings. This is a general rule of thumb for games based on spawning as it has been generally broken on the default "smart cloud" setting.

For the not-wanting-to-start scene: Where is the "continue" button you're referring to? A plaque, quest?

Spawn distance: I've never checked these distances against real world numbers. Is it possibly that you're playing indoors and your device is reporting multiple locations to the server? That could cause the effective radius to grow bigger. What happens when you make the radius of spawning smaller? Is it ineffective generally, or is there maybe a multiplication factor of the actual setting seen in use?

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "arisgames" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/arisgames.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arisgames/bc2e71e5-bdc4-4ee8-b532-cf5517299cb2%40googlegroups.com.

bern...@uvic.ca

Aug 6, 2016, 11:48:55 PM8/6/16
to aris...@googlegroups.com
>Thanks Chris! Changing the network to "Cloud dependant" fixed the one issue.

For the not-wanting-to-start scene the "continue" button is a plaque. Is
there something else recommended? When I tested the copy of Rupee you
shared at the conference last year, it's acting the same way...

In regards to spawn distance we were playing in the school yard down the
street & stayed still for a while to see how the items would spawn. When
the network was "smart cloud" tapping the items told us how far away it
was & these numbers were way larger than what was set... I'm not positive
if they were truly that far, but definitely appeared farther than the
25-30m we had set as the farthest items (one test time I was sitting at my
computer though so thank you, I was unaware that being indoors affected
it). As a work around I've made several additional factories & set the
distances in smaller increments & play testing today it worked ok.

thanks again! looking forward to the summit :)