!IMPORTANT editor bug in newest version of chrome

kevin uittenbosch

Sep 30, 2014, 6:20:34 PM9/30/14
to ariad...@googlegroups.com
Hi muse,

I want to report a weird and 'dangerous' bug,
details:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 53 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 46 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 30 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 60 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 90 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 120 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 150 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 180 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 210 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 240 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 270 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 300 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 330 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 360 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 390 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
[...]
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 40 ace-uncompressed.js:4610

this is a dump from my console log. somehow it seems that ace broke down + something strange with the ariadne diolog templates edit.php but i get this only in chrome and safari
It totally messes up any template i open and edit and save, after saving it somehow gets cluttered (randomly places, copies, deletes lines)

+ it's not possible to scroll down anymore, in no way, not by mousscrolling or dragging the scrollbar, nothing happends.

Chrome version: 38.0.2125.66

could you guys please look into it because this is a big malfunction

Auke van Slooten

Oct 2, 2014, 4:13:13 AM10/2/14
to ariad...@googlegroups.com
On 1-10-2014 0:20, kevin uittenbosch wrote:
Hi muse,

I want to report a weird and 'dangerous' bug,
details:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 53 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 46 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'type' of 30 ace-uncompressed.js:4610
<snip>

this is a dump from my console log. somehow it seems that ace broke down + something strange with the ariadne diolog templates edit.php but i get this only in chrome and safari
It totally messes up any template i open and edit and save, after saving it somehow gets cluttered (randomly places, copies, deletes lines)

+ it's not possible to scroll down anymore, in no way, not by mousscrolling or dragging the scrollbar, nothing happends.

Chrome version: 38.0.2125.66

could you guys please look into it because this is a big malfunction

It appears this is a problem with the latest canary build of Chrome. The stable version still is 37.0... and this doesn't have that problem. For now the workaround is to turn of the ACE editor in your personal settings or to switch to the stable Chrome version. I hope that either ACE or Chrome gets fixed before this release becomes stable... but we aren't in control of either of those projects :)

If the latest version of ACE doesn't have this problem, which you can check by trying the ACE editors demo, than you may also install a newer build of the ACE editor in ariadne/www/js/ace/. The build we're shipping with Ariadne is at https://github.com/ajaxorg/ace-builds/tree/master/src-noconflict

--

Auke van Slooten
Muze - Software Architect

Piet Heinstraat 19-A, 7511 JE ENSCHEDE
T. 053 - 4308177
I. www.muze.nl
E. au...@muze.nl

Auke van Slooten

Oct 2, 2014, 10:23:39 AM10/2/14
to ariad...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I've looked into it a bit further and the ace demo doesn't have this problem, just as the ace editor at //cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/ace/1.1.3/ doesn't have this problem. I'm not sure what is happening here.
I've downloaded the latest build from the ace-build git repository and put these in the ariadne/www/js/ace/ directory and the problem is still there. So my guess is that it must be in the way the editor is integrated into ariadne... but since ace has a rather unreadable and complex code base I haven't figured out what it is...

Auke van Slooten

Oct 8, 2014, 10:59:50 AM10/8/14
to ariad...@googlegroups.com
Fixed! I've upgraded the Ace editor to the latest build, using the noconflicts version, and fixed the api calls in the template editor templates. And now everything works. This fix will be in the next Ariadne release, we're planning a minor release with a number of bugfixes for this friday, or next tuesday at the latest.

It is a bit too large to attach as a patch, since you'll need a whole new ace build.

regards,
Auke van Slooten
Muze