Addapting OLI in Argunet

Breno de Araújo

Jan 30, 2018, 3:07:01 AM1/30/18
to argunet-users
Dear,

In a Argunet blog post I was informed about three free tutorials on web and I chose to do the OLI to start my education in Argument mapping. But I want to learn Argunet program and I see some differences  between Argunet and iLogos.

The iLogos use a Join reason option to join two premises and link to a conclusion. I attached the solution in iLogos.

This is the enunciation of problem:
" To diagram this argument, we need to arrange the claims so that the diagram represents the fact that the premises in this argument work together to support the conclusion. In this argument, the conclusion is “Socrates is mortal,” and it is supported by the two assertions “Socrates is a man,” and “All men are mortal.”

In Argunet I can't understand how join two premises to link a conclusion later. How I can do it? If someone decide to help-me, then please send a image of argunet with solution please.

Thanks,
iLogos problem solution.png

Sebastian Cacean

Jan 30, 2018, 7:50:48 AM1/30/18
to argunet-users

Hey Breno,

Gregor Betz explained that in another blog post (see http://www.argunet.org/2013/06/12/how-to-reconstruct-linked-convergent-and-serial-arguments-with-argunet/). What you want to do is called 'linked argumentation' in the blog-post.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Breno de Araújo

Jan 30, 2018, 3:16:17 PM1/30/18
to argunet-users
Hey Sebastian,

Thanks a lot for your attention and answer.

Let's go to see if I understood right:
a) I created two statements:
a.1) Socrates is a man and All men are mortal.
b) I created an argument "Mortals men";
c) Linked the two conclusions "a.1" to premise "b";
c.1) Whats the right arrow to use? Sketched or not?
c.1.1) If not sketched, when I link the sentence "a.1" to argument "b" the Argunet ask-me about 'Add the conclusion as a premiss' or 'Define new equivalent', whats is right and why?
d) Linked the argument "b" with sentence "Socrates is mortal"

I attached two images, the image conclusio as a premiss is the doubt above, and the second image is my solution for the problem.

Best regards,

Breno
Conclusio as a premiss.png
Socrates is mortal.png

Sebastian Cacean

Jan 30, 2018, 4:27:01 PM1/30/18
to argunet-users

Hey Breno,

you got it! What regards your remaining question: Whether you define a new equivalence or add the conclusion/thesis as premise, depends on whether you already added an argument-reconstruction for the argument (b) with the corresponding sentences as premise or not. (For details on that you can refer to the Argunet-Help - e.g. http://www.argunet.org/working-with-argunet/ch03s02.html)

Best regards,
Sebastian