Error Installing Argunet on MacBook Pro

Aaron Timoshanko

Jul 18, 2017, 3:11:24 AM7/18/17
to argunet-users
Hi there,

I'm trying to install Argunet on a MacBook Pro 13-inch, early 2011m 2,7 HGz, Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 on OS Sierra (v 10.12.5). I am running 'the recommended Java installed (Version 8 Update 131)'.

As per the instructions, I dragged the Argunet folder to applications. When I first tried to open Argunet (clicking on the Argunet icon) a dialogue box appeared requiring me me to install a legacy version of Java for OSX, the 'more information' took me to https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_AU. I installed this legacy version.

Now when I try to open to program I receive 'Alert: The Argunet executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library'.

I saw in this group that another user recently encountered the same problem. As per that advice, I deleted Argunet from my computer using AppCleaner and from my download folder, restarted my MBP, and re-downloaded the package again but I still receive the same alert/error.

Kind Regards

Aaron

Aaron Timoshanko

Jul 20, 2017, 3:12:49 AM7/20/17
to argunet-users
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Thank you in advance.

Gregor Betz

Jul 20, 2017, 3:52:19 AM7/20/17
to argune...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m sorry you encounter these issues. Java on OS X is currently a mess. And this severely affects the reliability of Argunet… I have no recipe for how to fix your problem. But maybe this helps: Argunet is an Eclipse Application and searching the web for "'Alert: The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library’ OS X” might yield more infos.

I’m sorry for not being able to provide more help.

Best,
Gregor

N.B.: We’re currently developing a new argumentation tools that does not rely on Java.

Aaron Timoshanko

Jul 20, 2017, 4:49:50 AM7/20/17
to argune...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Gregor for your reply. I tried your suggested search terms and didn’t have any luck. Thank you anyway for the suggestion.

Cheers

Aaron
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "argunet-users" group.

Adrian

May 7, 2018, 3:35:13 AM5/7/18
to argunet-users
Hi there, I've got a workaround here.

1 - Open up the Argunet folder
2 - right click on Argunet icon, then choose the second option: Show the content of this package
3 - open the Contents folder
4 - open the MacOs folder
5 - double click on Argunet icon

And that's it. The application starts running.

ggbetz

Oct 22, 2018, 10:54:12 AM10/22/18
to argunet-users
Thanks so much Adrian, that's very helpful!!!