Issue 70 in argparse: Feature Request: Allow exclusion of argument groups from -h output

argp...@googlecode.com

Apr 5, 2010, 12:41:27 PM4/5/10
to argpar...@googlegroups.com
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 70 by denver.coneybeare: Feature Request: Allow exclusion of
argument groups from -h output
http://code.google.com/p/argparse/issues/detail?id=70

Feature Request for Argparse version 1.1

I would like the ability to be able to toggle argument groups from being
included in the help output from --help or -h. The use case is that I have
an arguments group that contains "advanced" arguments that are rarely used.
I would like exclude these "advanced" arguments from the help output in
order to keep it clean. Users would be able to see the help for these
"advanced" options by providing an additional command-line argument to turn
them on.

Note that I want these arguments to *always* be available, just not
displayed in the help output by default.

http://code.google.com/hosting/settings

argp...@googlecode.com

Jul 23, 2010, 9:47:55 AM7/23/10
to argpar...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #1 on issue 70 by steven.bethard: Feature Request: Allow exclusion

You can currently exclude individual arguments by using

add_argument(..., help=argparse.SUPPRESS, ...)

and then they won't be included in the output, though they'll continue to
be usable. I've filed an issue on bugs.python.org (argparse's new home) to
provide better documentation about this:

http://bugs.python.org/issue9349