backup

Ken Poulsen

Mar 9, 2021, 10:53:25 AM3/9/21
to ArGoSoft Products
Hi Archi

I know you have built it in to the gui...

but i was using the "backup/restore" features as a bat-file, to schdule backup to run at night.

any tips to do that now?

or can i "make" a old installation, and grab the 2 files for backup/restore, and use them again?

im missing it :-)

ArGoSoft Products

Mar 9, 2021, 12:06:27 PM3/9/21
to ArGoSoft Products
Hi Ken,

I understand, the feature would be useful, but I am afraid, implementing it would be dangerous, because it would require to stop services, do backup, and then start services again.

Service has to be stopped, to ensure that database is not in use.

You don't want to schedule it overnight, then wake up in the morning and discover that service did not start because of some reason.

Of course, most likely, all will be going smoothly, but still, there is some risk involved.

I will still take a look at implementing it, but people should be using it at their own risk.

Archie

Ken Poulsen

Mar 9, 2021, 1:15:16 PM3/9/21
to ArGoSoft Products

Well the Old Way have ben Working perfekt for me for like 6 years ;-).

And server restart every 3 houres...(only service, and have a back-up another place if it dont start)

ArGoSoft Products

Mar 9, 2021, 1:23:03 PM3/9/21
to ArGoSoft Products
OK, I will look what I can do...

Does not really seem to be too difficult to implement.

ArGoSoft Products

Mar 9, 2021, 3:35:06 PM3/9/21
to ArGoSoft Products
OK, I created a separate console application ConsoleBackup.exe

I will be releasing new version of mail server, and will be including it there.

Usage:

ConsoleBackup <backupfile.zip>

It does service stop/start itself, and because of that it has to be running with admin privileges, otherwise it will not see services and will be unable to stop and start them.

It may be an issue on Windows 10 only though, not on servers.

Download an upgrade tomorrow, and let me know if you have further questions.

Archie

ArGoSoft Products

Mar 10, 2021, 9:17:38 AM3/10/21
to ArGoSoft Products
Updated information about the ConsoleBackup.exe is here

It is in new version 1.3.2.0.