Question: Distribution lists icw "only members can post"

Peter van der Weerd

Mar 4, 2021, 4:27:03 PMMar 4
to ArGoSoft Products
Hi all,

I have a distribution list with the option "only members can post" checked.
However, I can still post to it from a random mail address.
Is there something I forgot?

Different question. If the members of the list are distribution lists as well, is the above option smart enough to take the leaf members into account?

Thanks!
Peter

ArGoSoft Products

Mar 4, 2021, 5:06:40 PMMar 4
to ArGoSoft Products
Hi Peter,

Right.  It is the area I have not touched for over a decade.  I don't even remember how all this works.

Those options come from times when Mail Server was supporting mailing lists (kind of, groups, which were corresponding to each other).  They are pretty much outdated now.

I will check, and post in this thread what I will find.

Archie

ArGoSoft Products

Mar 4, 2021, 5:20:21 PMMar 4
to ArGoSoft Products
Hi Peter,

Seems to be working for me... If "only members can post" option is selected, then only email addresses listed there can send to that distribution list.

It is through MAIL FROM address, which, usually, matches FROM header of email message you are sending.

In that list you can add addresses, which are not members of distribution list.  They will be able to send, but they will be not receiving whatever they sent.

You are right, wording is confusing.  I will change the prompt "Only members can post" to "Only following senders can post".

Archie