Migration to new Server

f...@my-spot.com

Jan 10, 2022, 3:17:24 PM1/10/22
to ArGoSoft Products
I am trying to migrate my email server to a new system. The db is MS SQLExpress. I know I have done this in the past (6+ years ago) but this time it is not happy. Is there a simple  step-by-step guide for this?

f...@my-spot.com

Jan 12, 2022, 3:10:27 PM1/12/22
to ArGoSoft Products
Because I use SQLExpress, it seems I cannot use the ConsoleBackup.exe tool. It complains as follows...

C:\Program Files\ArGo Software Design\ArGoSoft Mail Server .NET> .\ConsoleBackup.exe F:\MAILSERVER\
Sorry, this utility works only with SQLite database engine installations

Also the doc page indicates this is the case.

So, It seems I will need to do this manually.

Is everything needed to migrate/copy to a new server in the " C:\Program Files\ArGo Software Design\ArGoSoft Mail Server .NET" directory or do I also need to migrate/copy "C:\ProgramData\ArGoSoft\MailServer.Net"?

My plan is as follows...
  • New Server: Build band new fresh Windows 10 Pro server.
  • New Server: Install basic install of SQLExpress.
  • New Server: Install all Windows and SQLExpress patches and updates.
  • Old Server: Do full system backup - just in case.
  • Old Server: Shutdown Argosoft Mail server, services, UI, etc.
  • Old Server: Uninstall Argosoft Mail server with the option to save the data (like you do for an update) - (reboot - just to be sure to clear any filelocks, etc).
  • Old Server: Use robocopy to backup "C:\Program Files\ArGo Software Design\ArGoSoft Mail Server .NET" and "C:\ProgramData\ArGoSoft\MailServer.Net".
  • New Server: Use robocopy to restore "C:\Program Files\ArGo Software Design\ArGoSoft Mail Server .NET" and "C:\ProgramData\ArGoSoft\MailServer.Net".
  • New Server: Install Argosoft Mail server.
  • Network: Change network assignments (IP #'s, etc) from old to new server.
  • New Server: turn on Argosoft Mail server/services.
  • New Server: If needed, Reconnect SQLExpress.
  • New Server: (Hope it works).
Does anyone have any feedback on my plan above?