Best way to move/migrate Argo mail server to a new host

David Matthewson

May 12, 2020, 7:26:35 AM5/12/20
to ArGoSoft Products
Hi Archie & friends...

Hope all is well in these odd times....

We want to retire our old mail server host and move Argo to a new VM running Windows 2019.

What's the best way to achieve this, taking the users, their emails and mailbags etc with the move? I've looked for a 'How to..' but can't find anything which covers this.

Many thanks

David

Commerce

May 12, 2020, 10:45:37 AM5/12/20
to ArGoSoft Products
David,

It has been a while and offering this from memory and notes, but this was a pretty straight forward process going from 2008R2 to 2016, I've not tested 2019, but presume the process will be similar if not the same.

Presuming you are using the same domain and sub domain used on the source for the target.

If you use SQL / SQL Express, you'll want to load it on the new VM and patch as needed.

Bring the mailserver services down on the source VM and try a backup of the existing server:
DataBackup C:\ArgoData\
You will need to be in the appropriate directory, e.g., C:\Program Files\ArGo Software Design\ArGoSoft Mail Server .NET>

You will want to migrate the .lic file from the source to the target as well as exporting any certs needed from the source.

Migrate the files you created and retrieved above to the new server.

You will have to install a copy of the MailServer to the new system and though I don't seem to have the restore program in my notes on this, if memory serves, it is something like DataRestore.

You will use the directory that you ported over to the new VM which contained the data from the DataBackup step.

Register the license file you brought from the old machine to the new machine.

Make sure the certs are added as needed and try firing the services up.

No guarantees, but it should work without too many hitches.

Obviously, once transferred and confirmed as successful, the old VM copy of ArgoSoft MailServer must be retired.

Good luck and hopefully I have been both clear enough and haven't missed any steps.

Best,

Alan

David Matthewson

May 12, 2020, 12:33:54 PM5/12/20
to ArGoSoft Products
Thanks Alan

That all seems to make sense - I'll give it a go and report back as to what happens.

best wishes

David

David Matthewson

May 12, 2020, 2:08:10 PM5/12/20
to ArGoSoft Products
Alan

Spot on! - that worked a treat thanks. A few minor issues -

1) of course, the dir c:\argodata has to exist first - duh!

2) when restoring on the new host the syntax is DataRestore c:\argodata (or wherever you backed stuff up to..)

3) Interestingly the 'restore' took the TLS certs across as well, so no need to do that by hand.

Just done some quick testing and it all seems fine - makes MS Exchange seem the over complex beast it is for many SMEs.

Thanks again

David

Commerce

May 16, 2020, 3:43:27 PM5/16/20
to ArGoSoft Products
David

Glad to learn it all worked out for you.  Was going from some notes and memory, so thank you for including your issues list.  Hopefully others might find this useful.

Alan