MailServer SQL dependency

Amber Clark

Apr 7, 2021, 11:54:29 AM4/7/21
to ArGoSoft Products
Good morning!

I noticed that the MailServer service no longer has a dependency on MSSQLSERVER after install.

If you find that MailServer tries to start before MSSQLSERVER and it fails, here's how you can add that dependency.

  1. Launch CMD.EXE as Administrator
  2. The enter the following on the command line:
    sc config ArGoSoftMailServerNet depend= EventLog/MSSQLSERVER
That's it.

ArGoSoft Products

Apr 7, 2021, 6:14:42 PM4/7/21
to ArGoSoft Products
OK.  The problem here is that by default, mail server gets installed as SQLite now.  Service gets registered at the point of install, and dependency to SQL server is no longer included.

I will have to look if it is possible to add dependency afterwards, after the server is installed.

I will check it out.

Archie

Amber Clark

Apr 8, 2021, 12:01:58 AM4/8/21
to ArGoSoft Products
My first thought on the solution would be to check the connection string in the settings.xml to see if points at a SQL Server connection?

ArGoSoft Products

Apr 8, 2021, 6:47:25 AM4/8/21
to ArGoSoft Products
Actually, I do see in the log and when installing an upgrade, it should be including SQL server as dependence.

Clearly, it is not.  I guess, I am missing something simple there.

It will be fixed in the next release.

Archie

ArGoSoft Products

Apr 8, 2021, 4:44:03 PM4/8/21
to ArGoSoft Products
Hello Amber,

Here is the solution...

First, run service control manager (services.msc), find your SQL Server there, and look at properties.  Copy service name.  In my case, it is MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS.

Then, launch Mail Server UI, stop service, and go to Tools - Utilities - Advanced Settings (Settings.xml), and paste the SQL server name in the SQL Instance box.  Save settings.

The SQL server will not appear as a dependency until you reinstall the server though.  You can upgrade to the same version, or wait until the next release.

I will also fix dependencies with the Web service module.  Apparently, I missed them there altogether.

Archie