Certificates for Web server

jimj...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2021, 3:26:46 PM7/8/21
to ArGoSoft Products
I updated to version 1.3.6.0 a week or two ago.  I  want to use the Web interface in a secure mode ie., HTTPS.  I got a free certificate for our domain  and installed it on the email server.  It worked as expected for 1-2 days.  Now I get a security error when trying to use HTTPS to access the email web server.

Windows says the certificate is good, expires in Oct, 2021.  I have reinstalled the certificate using the Argosoft UI several times.  I have used Windows to install the certificate into the certificate store and then used to Argosoft UI to select that certificate from the store.  All of these show the install as successful but when accessing the Argosoft Web email server I get an error.

If I stop the email server and restart it I get the error message:

"starting the sweb service at 0.0.0.0:443: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions."

As I said this certificate worked for a couple of days when I first installed it.

A post from 2018 says the certificates are stored in the database.  Is there a way to "poke" my certificate in to the database outside of the Argosoft UI?

Is there some folder I can place the certificate so when the Web interface is accessed that certificate is used?

Thanks!

Jim

ArGoSoft Products

Jul 8, 2021, 3:34:30 PM7/8/21
to ArGoSoft Products
Hi Jim,

Do you know if the certificate works for other connections, like IMAP, SMTP, or POP3?

Also are you sure you are not running something else on port 443?  Some another web server, possibly?

Does it work if you use another port, besides 443?

Archie

jimj...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2021, 4:24:09 PM7/8/21
to ArGoSoft Products
Archie:

Thanks for the quick response!

This is a clean build.  Installed Windows 10 and your Argosoft email.

Having said that when I change the Argosoft secure web port to 500 it works perfectly.

Jim

ArGoSoft Products

Jul 9, 2021, 6:11:52 AM7/9/21
to ArGoSoft Products
Hi Jim,

I am not sure.  Still, must be some windows issue.

As you understand, your mail server does not differentiate any ports.  All of them are equal.  You tell it to listen on such and such port, and it just listens there.

If port 500 works, but 443 does not, it means, there is something else bound to port 443.  Check if you have IIS installed on your computer, and if you do, stop it.

Archie

jimj...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2021, 11:47:18 AM7/9/21
to ArGoSoft Products
Archie:

I will check that out  IIS is not installed as far as I know but I will track down port 443.

Another question about the Argosoft web server, can I shut off access to webmail on port 80 and just leave the secure access using the Argosoft UI or do I need to do that via the Operating system?

Thanks,

Jim

ArGoSoft Products

Jul 9, 2021, 11:50:10 AM7/9/21
to ArGoSoft Products
Yes, you can.  Go to Settings - Services - Web, disable it in the General section, and enable secure web connections on the Secure connections section.

I know, it is confusing.  I guess I have to update the interface and make it more intuitive.

Archie

jimj...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2021, 2:10:32 PM7/9/21
to ArGoSoft Products
Thanks.  I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure.

The new version is working great and my users that use web access are very happy with the speed versus the old version.

jimj...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2021, 11:43:15 AM7/12/21
to ArGoSoft Products
This morning I un-checked the port 80 box on Web.  Works as Archie says, no access on port 80 but still access to webmail on the port entered in the next section below called secure access.  A big plus is that you can get https access off of port 443 so it will not be probed as much being non-standard.