6n138

Matt

Apr 27, 2009, 6:42:06 AM4/27/09
to Arduinoboy
Hello all,

I'm preparing to have another stab at building an Arduinoboy after my
disastrous attempt last Christmas. Hoping to avoid last time's
injuries by using "wire glue" instead of solder, which appears to be a
viable alternative for securing components to a shield.

One quick question though - 6n138s are pretty hard to get hold of in
small quantities in the UK without spending a fortune on postage.
However, 6n139s are more regularly available - will one of these do
the same job, or does it have to be a 6n138?

many thanks
Matt

dust

Jul 29, 2009, 2:54:47 AM7/29/09
to Matt, ardui...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

I build my Arduinoboy this Monday with a 6n139 and have some troubles
now:
Midi-In is not working at all. I checked the wiring, but everything
seems to be ok.
Midi-Out works fine.
I'm not 100% sure, if the 6n139 is the problem but anyway I ordered a
6n138 yesterday.
I can tell you If the 6n138 will solve the problem when I have it at
home.
I put some pictures of my Arduionoy(dust6581) here:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/arduinoboy

Greetings,
Hannes

PS.: Strange - I can only answer this mail to the author, but not to
the whole group. I try to put the group on Cc.

Ove Ridé

Jul 29, 2009, 11:30:25 AM7/29/09
to ardui...@googlegroups.com
Hello. Try adding an extra resistor as described here.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2635/3756365226_c18f758a5a_o.png

I'm not sure if 6n139 works well for MIDI. If it does, you may need
different resistor values allover.

2009/7/29 dust <hannes....@gmail.com>:
--
/Ove

-----BEGIN 2ROT13 MESSAGE-----
Blog:
<http://gameboygenius.8bitcollective.com/>
SKRIVA på Lysator. Ditt Ahrvid-fria alternativ:
Sätt på ett par flipflops, vippa på rumpan
och gör det här till en minnesvärd sommar!
-----END 2ROT13 MESSAGE-----

Hannes Fertala

Jul 29, 2009, 3:34:58 PM7/29/09
to ardui...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ove,

thanks for the help!
I tried it with a 4.7k resistor, but unfortunately it doesn't work.
I don't have a oscilloscope here, so no chance to take a look at the signal.
My Multimeter shows 4.8V between Pin5 and Pin6.

The other thing is, that I thought that the MIDI-IN on the drawing is a female connector,
but the I take a look at the voltage between the pins and the direction of the diode.
So I found out, that the MIDI-IN is the male connector. Or am I wrong here?

On the other hand MIDI-OUT is a female connector on the drawing.

Greetings,
Hannes

dust

Jul 30, 2009, 6:13:50 PM7/30/09
to Arduinoboy
Hi again,

finally it works well with 6n139 and 6n138 !
The first problem was, that I messed up GB-Cable Pins after I cut of
the plug from the cable.
The second problem was, that I swapped the MIDI-In, because I thought
that MIDI-In on the drawing is the backside of a female plug.
Indeed it's the front side of the male plug.
The third problem was missing the description of the MMI, which I
finally found in the code (where else? hehe)

//Mode 0: Midi Input to LSDJ Sync
- Push Arduinoboy-Button till 1st LED is on
- Set SYNC in LSDJ to SLAVE
- Connect Midi-In of Arduinoboy to Midi-Out of e.g. your Drummachine
(use CH 16 and internal-clock in it's configuration)
- Press start on LSDJ one some Pattern in Song-Mode(nothing happens -
only WAIT)
- Press start on your Drummachine and LSDJ starts playing

//Mode 1: LSDJ MASTER to Midi output
- Push Arduinoboy-Button till 2nd LED is on
- Set SYNC in LSDJ to MASTER
- Connect Midi-Out of Arduinoboy to Midi-In of e.g. your Drummachine
(use CH 16 and external-clock in it's configuration)
- The Drummachine start when START on GB is pressed

//Mode 2: LSDJ Keyboard
Sorry - currently no idea what this mode is good for.

//Mode 3: Midi Input to Nanoloop
I don't have Nanoloop - so no chance to test

//Mode 4: Midi Input to mGB ca rt (available at: code.google.com/p/
ardunioboy)
- Push Arduinoboy-Button till 5th LED is on
- Flash the mGB software to your cartridge
- plug your MIDI-keyboard to MIDI-In of Arduinoboy
- Set the MIDI-keyboard to Channel 1 - 4 and play some notes.

A public wiki would be great on the arduinoboy-homepage.

Greetings,
Hannes

On 29 Jul., 21:34, Hannes Fertala <hannes.fert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ove,
>
> thanks for the help!
> I tried it with a 4.7k resistor, but unfortunately it doesn't work.
> I don't have a oscilloscope here, so no chance to take a look at the signal.
> My Multimeter shows 4.8V between Pin5 and Pin6.
>
> The other thing is, that I thought that the MIDI-IN on the drawing is a
> female connector,
> but the I take a look at the voltage between the pins and the direction of
> the diode.
> So I found out, that the MIDI-IN is the male connector. Or am I wrong here?
>
> On the other hand MIDI-OUT is a female connector on the drawing.
>
> Greetings,
> Hannes
>
> 2009/7/29 Ove Ridé <nitro2...@gmail.com>
>

> > Hello. Try adding an extra resistor as described here.
>
> >http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2635/3756365226_c18f758a5a_o.png
>
> > I'm not sure if 6n139 works well for MIDI. If it does, you may need
> > different resistor values allover.

Ove Ridé

Jul 30, 2009, 6:48:53 PM7/30/09
to ardui...@googlegroups.com
2009/7/31 dust <hannes....@gmail.com>:

> Hi again,
>
> finally it works well with 6n139 and 6n138 !
How stable is it when using a 6n139? Any glitches? Did you try all modes?

Hannes Fertala

Jul 31, 2009, 4:03:58 AM7/31/09
to ardui...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ove,

I only tried the Modes0, 1 & 4.
I don't have Nanoloop to test with an no idea how "LSDJ Keyboard"-mode is used.
Can you tell me which mode causes the most traffic?
Maybe I can try to send lots of notes with Mode4 at a high BPM.
I will tell you the result in a week, because I on vacation from today on.

Greetings,
Hannes