Fwd: Fox-O freqs Bulletin No. 2

Robert Frey

Mar 9, 2022, 10:06:17 AMMar 9
to ARDF USA

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Robert Frey <ralle...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 1:53 PM
Subject: Fox-O freqs Bulletin No. 2
To: Joseph Huberman <Jos...@treklite.com>

Someone will need to explain to me how this will work.  Hide and seek for transmitter frequencies. Bob, Wa6EZV
HUH!!   Sorry This makes no sense to me. Four frequencies for the Fox-O????  Bob, Wa6EZV

FoxOring Fox
1:10,000 5m contour Letter size:
Portrait
OK2BWN MICROFOX HF
2 Fast & 2 Regular
 3.53 MHz50 mW 12cm antenna Audible for 100m
FoxOring FoxOK2BWN MICROFOX HF
2 Fast & 2 Regular
3.55 MHz50 mW 12cm antenna
Audible for 100m
FoxOring FoxOK2BWN MICROFOX HF
2 Fast & 2 Regular
3.57 MHz50 mW 12cm antenna
Audible for 100m
FoxOring BeaconOK2BWN Contest 3.60 MHz3W

Imre Pólik

Mar 9, 2022, 10:36:09 AMMar 9
to Robert Frey, ARDF USA
Each fox control will have its frequency and style (fast/slow) listed on the map. You'll have to retune your receiver depending on which control you are going for.
Imre

Ruth Bromer

Mar 9, 2022, 10:50:08 AMMar 9
to Robert Frey, ARDF USA
Bob,

We are doing this because this is how it will work at the World Champs.  For some reason, no other countries have figured out that they can use very low power transmitters with the color burst chip.  This is how FoxO was originally designed.  We simplified it in the US, but decided it would be best for those who want to go to Serbia to have practice for how it will be there.

Each nominal position, the circle on the map, will have a code that lets you know which frequency that transmitter is on. So, the way it works is that all transmitters with 1, 1F, 2, or 2F will be on one frequency (3.53).  Those with 3, 3F, 4, 4F will be on the next frequency (3.55). Those with 5 or 5F are on 3.57.  Since we will have 12 transmitters in the woods, the extra two (not sure how they will be designated) will also be on 3.57.  In the WC, they only use 10 transmitters total, which doesn't allow for very good courses, especially for the oldest competitors.  So we are trying to make it as close as possible to what would be at a WC, but using a couple of more transmitters to make better courses.  It's unfortunate that other countries don't move into the 21st century.

Changing frequencies during the run also makes the radio part a more technical event.

If anyone still has questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Ruth