Academic response to "Anonymous"

Tom Reedy

Oct 14, 2011, 7:36:41 PM10/14/11
to Forest of Arden
"No, absolutely no competent student of the period, historical or
literary, has ever taken this theory seriously. First of all, the
founding premise is false-- there is nothing especially mysterious
about William Shakespeare, who is as well documented as one could
expect of a man of his time. None of his contemporaries or associates
expressed any doubt about the authorship of his poems and plays.
Nothing about De Vere (Oxford) suggests he had any great talent, and
there is no reason to suppose he would have suppressed any talents he
possessed."

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/anonymous-hollywood-film-shows-william-shakespeare/story?id=14725443

Be sure to read all the comments. I'm famous--or infamous, given what
is said.

TR

hj

Oct 16, 2011, 9:13:45 PM10/16/11
to Forest of Arden
<Be sure to read all the comments. I'm famous--or infamous, given what
is said.

Reading the comments was exactly like reading HLAS posts. Pure flame
war. Plenty of heat; little light. Whew! And Tom, I now find you're
part of the four-century long conspiracy. The scales have fallen from
my eyes!

hj

On Oct 14, 6:36 pm, Tom Reedy <tom.re...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "No, absolutely no competent student of the period, historical or
> literary, has ever taken this theory seriously. First of all, the
> founding premise is false-- there is nothing especially mysterious
> about William Shakespeare, who is as well documented as one could
> expect of a man of his time. None of his contemporaries or associates
> expressed any doubt about the authorship of his poems and plays.
> Nothing about De Vere (Oxford) suggests he had any great talent, and
> there is no reason to suppose he would have suppressed any talents he
> possessed."
>
> http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/anonymous-hollywood-film-shows-wi...

Tom Reedy

Oct 17, 2011, 10:04:55 AM10/17/11
to Forest of Arden
You just haven't been keeping up, Hank. How else could I make ends
meet without the monthly stipend from the Trust?

Here's another read from today NYTimes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/17/opinion/hollywood-dishonors-the-bard.html?_r=1

TR

hj

Oct 17, 2011, 11:07:12 AM10/17/11
to Forest of Arden
> Here's another read from today NYTimes:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/17/opinion/hollywood-dishonors-the-bar...

==> Pshaw! That's just Shapiro, the high priest of the "Trust-Shakers"
secret society, the very guy who signs your checks.