Fwd: Your Weekend Read: APF Canada's New Arctic Policy Brief

1 view

Marius Grinius

Apr 8, 2022, 10:10:57 PM4/8/22
to Adele Buckley, Cdn Pugwash Grp
Canada's Arctic Policy in the context of Canada and Indo-Pacific Policy: for your reference and reading pleasure.

Global Affairs Canada (through a small task force) has been working to produce Canada's policy response to ongoing developments to define thinking that goes beyond what was understood to be "Asia-Pacific" to encompass the "Indo-Pacific" region with a focus on India.

In my humble opinion, the move from "Asia-Pacific" terminology to "Indo-Pacific" terminology (which crept up into my consciousness when I was not looking) is all about the US striving to move India into a mindset against China in the context of the new "Great Game" of China, supported by junior partner Russia, versus the US. There are many moving parts that keep changing their shape to the chagrin of policy-makers and pundit pontificators. The current Ukraine crisis provides some indication on how this is all going. I welcome any and all who may correct me on this premise.

The APFC paper (I have yet to read in detail) is a solid piece of analysis that links various elements into the whole. These include (again, I have not read in detail):
- China's Arctic ambitions
- the Sino-Russian relationship beyond just the Arctic
- the ongoing new "Great Game" [my terminology, not APFC's]
- Canada's ongoing anemic policy implementation to Arctic issues within and beyond its boundaries
- a need for a more robust Canadian military situational awareness and presence in Canada's Arctic
- the need for closer Arctic Council like-minded partnerships, despite current challenges with those who may not be "like-minded" in the bigger context
- the implications of AUKUS and Australia's robust calculations wrt Indo-Pacific
- and, oh, is the Arctic really getting warmer? Shocking surprise!

I am sharing the APFC policy paper to this international international grouping of Arctic experts, to those concerned about Arctic issues, and maybe those who are focused on nuclear security issues who may appreciate a wider situational awareness because it is an important reference to our ongoing conversation focused on security writ-large.

Regards to all,
marius

Oct 19, 2023, 11:19:16 AM10/19/23
to Marius Grinius, Adele Buckley, Cdn Pugwash Grp

I guess I am ever more uncertain of where 'we' stand.

Do we have a 'whole' Foreign Policy?? Canada’s last review of its foreign and defence policies was completed by Pierre Trudeau in 1970. Is it time to conduct another one?https://policyoptions.irpp.org/magazines/july-2019/redefining-canadas-foreign-policies/

Are we not awaiting a new, or at least updated Defence Policy?

What is India's position on the Hamas-Israel dust-up? Does it matter to the Indo-Pacific policy? India is no closer to the PACIFIC Ocean than it is to the Middle East....

This conversation is locked