Help! SWAT run failed - Severe (64) conversion error, unit 137

Kirsten Schaefer

Sep 24, 2017, 6:36:57 PM9/24/17
to ArcSWAT
Hello,

I am running SWAT models on several subwatersheds within one HUC-8. I have downloaded weather data using the https://globalweather.tamu.edu/ website. I ran a successful model with the dataset, with outputs that coincide with the literature for the area. Now I am trying to use the same climate inputs for another location and the model fails every time. (See attached error message)

Severe (64): input conversion error, unit 137

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? Please and thank you!

Kirsten Schaefer
Error_9_24.PNG

Jim Almendinger

Sep 24, 2017, 6:50:21 PM9/24/17
to Kirsten Schaefer, ArcSWAT
What did you change between the successful run and this one, besides location?  Different time periods?  It appears something hung up in year 8 of your .slr data, though looks can be deceiving; it could be almost anywhere in your input files preceding the reading of the .slr files, where suddenly Swat found data it could not interpret.
-- Jim

Dr. James E. Almendinger, Director
St. Croix Watershed Research Station
Science Museum of Minnesota
16910 152nd St N
Marine on St. Croix, MN  55047
651-433-5953 x 11

Kirsten Schaefer

Sep 25, 2017, 9:56:08 AM9/25/17
to ArcSWAT
Thank you for your reply, Dr. Almendinger.

The weather input file has not been changed, and I am running the models for the same time period. I also tried to run the model starting after year 8 and received the same error.

The only things that have changed from the first run are the DEM, masked watershed, burned-in stream network, land use and soil data. All of these shapefiles were downloaded from the same source, and I have their individual .gdb in the same file folder (the path for the data is the same as run 1).

I attempted to re-download the weather station data using the https://globalweather.tamu.edu/ website and original download parameters, and received the same error when I ran SWAT with the new weather data.

I will look through the solar data file this afternoon, hopefully that will solve it. Thank you for the direction!

-Kirsten

Jim Almendinger

Sep 25, 2017, 10:36:21 AM9/25/17
to Kirsten Schaefer, ArcSWAT
I don't know enough about the reanalysis climate data to know where the problem could be.  Because your watersheds are not identically in the same place, you may not be using exactly the same weather data for each, since SWAT will choose the weather station (or pseudostation grid point for gridded data) closest to the midpoint of each subbasin.
I know the reanalysis data are supposed to be corrected by ground-truthing, but the one time I checked precip data with an actual weather station it seemed less than great for daily calibration (might be OK for monthly).  For U.S. watersheds, I've had good luck using the SWAT-ready climate data from the co-op stations here; data go through 30 Dec 2010, I think.  I use the P and T data and let SWAT estimate the other parameters.
Best,

Jorge Guillermo Rodriguez Herrera

Jan 18, 2018, 12:01:22 AM1/18/18
to ArcSWAT
Hi Kirsten, did the same mistake happen to me, if you could solve it? and if you could solve it, did you do it?