How to work with landuse change Scenarios????

Joe

Jul 23, 2012, 10:20:02 AM7/23/12
to arc...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I have a well calibrated and validated model. My work in on scenario analysis. How can I change the land use of my calibrated model to the new landuse (my scenario)? Do I have to work by changing the text files in TxtInOut or is there any easy way?

Joe

Jim Almendinger

Jul 23, 2012, 12:48:27 PM7/23/12
to Joe, arc...@googlegroups.com
The simplest way of changing land use, for a scenario run, is to adjust the HRU_FR values in the hru table.  You can expand or contract the size of the available HRUs to account for land-use change.  This will work only for those land uses that already exist in the model -- i.e., you can change their relative size in each subbasin.  Remember that the sum of HRU_FR in each subbasin must equal 1 (one).

If you want to add a new land use, you'll have to sacrifice some of your old HRUs.

There is a land-use change tool in SWAT2009 but I haven't used it directly.  I think it is mostly an HRU_FR shifting tool, as described above.  But I'd look into this first before trying to change HRU_FR values on your own.  It might be just what you're looking for.

Finally -- remember that HRUs are more than just land use.  They include soils and slopes, which are not so changeable.  When you change an HRU_FR value, you're changing not only land use, but soil and slope areas as well.  For small changes this probably doesn't matter, but keep it in mind if you've got large changes.

Cheers,
-- Jim

I have a well calibrated and validated model. My work in on scenario analysis. How can I change the land use of my calibrated model to the new landuse (my scenario)? Do I have to work by changing the text files in TxtInOut or is there any easy way?

Joe

NOTE: This message was trained as non-spam. If this is wrong, please correct the training as soon as possible.
Spam
Not spam
Forget previous vote

--
Dr. James E. Almendinger
St. Croix Watershed Research Station

Regensburger, Eric

Jul 23, 2012, 1:25:25 PM7/23/12
to Joe, arc...@googlegroups.com

Joe, The land use update (LUP) in SWAT 2009 is exactly what you are looking for. Go to “Edit SWAT Input” in ArcSWAT 2009 and find it under “Watershed Data”

Naresh Pai

Jul 24, 2012, 10:02:01 AM7/24/12
to arc...@googlegroups.com
Joe - If you have a landuse raster that represents the scenario you would like to simulate, then you may want to try out the SWAT2009_LUC tool available on the SWAT website.

Naresh

Kang Liang

Nov 7, 2018, 7:36:45 PM11/7/18
to ArcSWAT
Hi Naresh,

I've read your paper and it had very good explanation of HRU definition and land use change impact on water quality and quantity simulation. I'm using the SWAT LUU tool to update land use ( https://saraswat-swat.rcac.purdue.edu/tool_selection). After I obtained the lup.dat and HRU fraction file by using this tool, I tried to put them in the TxtInOut folder to replace the existing lup.dat file and re-run the model, but it seems like SWAT model is not using the new land use fraction information. Do you have any ideas about how to use the outputs of the SWAT LUU tool?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Kang

Helen Agh

Mar 22, 2019, 1:22:21 PM3/22/19
to ArcSWAT

    Dear Kang Liang

I am having the same problem as yours. Did you solve it? If yes, would you please tell me about it?

Regards
Helen

Liem, Nguyen Duy

Aug 5, 2019, 2:10:59 PM8/5/19
to ArcSWAT
Dear all,

Here is a way of land use change analysis in ArcSWAT:

I hope it can be useful!
ND Liem

Bhaswatee Baishya

Jun 24, 2024, 9:41:23 AMJun 24
to ArcSWAT
Can anyone give a better solution?? Nothing is working out!