How Long Does it Take to Cook a Steak in the Oven?

1 view

Louis Lee

Jul 23, 2009, 7:57:28 AM7/23/09
to cook
There are so many different ways to cook a steak. Many of us sometimes
want a steak on a rainy day and can't get out to the grill to enjoy
it. Even though there is nothing like the grilled taste when cooking a
steak there are still ways to enjoy a steak. You can always use the
alternative of cooking your steak in the oven. It is quite simple and
it takes almost as good as you cooking it on the grill.
Before we get the question of how long does it take to cook a steak in
the oven let's talk about how to prepare your steak first. I would
highly suggest you searing your steak before cooking it in the oven.
Searing the steak is what gives it the color and it always makes' it
very flavorful. Cast iron skillet is best but any frying pan will do.
Sit your cast iron pan on the stove- top and turn it on high. While
your pan is heating take your steak and run olive oil all over it.
Then you are going to add your seasoning to the steak. Place the steak
in the pan for 30 seconds on each side.
Now, how long does it take to cook a steak in the oven? There are a
few ways I am going to walk you through and you can choose which is
best for your taste. You will first need to preheat your oven to about
500 degrees F. Make sure it is fully preheated before you place steak
in an oven. You can put your steak in their right after searing it
still in your cast iron pan. If you are using a regular frying pan,
remove from pan and place steak in a baking dish. Depending on how you
like your steak cooked depends on the time you leave it in the oven.
For medium-rare you should have it in there for about three minutes.
Add a minute for medium and so on for until you get it to what you
prefer.
However cooking your steak in the oven on 500 degrees is not a bad
idea I like to cook my steak in the oven on broil. So, how long does
it take to cook a steak in the oven on broil? Cooking your steak on
broil makes it much more tender. You need to set your oven to broil
then let it heat. Depending on the size of your steak will determine
the length you are going to need to cook your steak. If your steak is
about 3/4 inch thick, you are going to need to cook it for about four
to five minutes on each side for medium-rare. For medium cook for six
to seven minutes on each side.
To determine if your steak is done, I would recommend you use a
thermometer to check the temperature. The temperature should be 160
degrees. Most people try to cut their steak open with a knife to see
if it is done or not. This is not a good idea because this allows the
juice to drain from the steak. After your steak is done allow it to
sit for about five minutes. This will let the juice flow through the
steak from top to bottom giving much flavor. This is my advice on how
long does it take to cook a steak in the oven.