Not able to deploy demo

Mike Taylor

Dec 4, 2023, 1:45:00 PM12/4/23
to arclight-community
After several attempts following these instructions https://github.com/projectblacklight/arclight/wiki/Creating,-installing,-and-running-your-ArcLight-application on 2 different systems, I only see a generic Rails page at localhost:3000. Can someone fill me in on what I'm missing?

Justin Michael Coyne

Dec 6, 2023, 12:50:36 PM12/6/23
to arclight-community
What was the output of the commands that you ran?  Without seeing that, it's near impossible to guess what might be the problem.

-Justin

Mike Taylor

Dec 6, 2023, 1:47:44 PM12/6/23
to arclight-community
command (from app directory) "rails new arclight -m" output: Can't initialize a new Rails  ...  etc.

Mike Taylor

Dec 6, 2023, 1:52:26 PM12/6/23
to arclight-community
Sorry, same results with URL at end.

Justin Michael Coyne

Dec 8, 2023, 10:28:22 AM12/8/23
to arclight-community
Sorry, I'd really need to see the "...  etc." to know what is going on.  At this point I don't have enough information about what the problem is.

-Justin

Mike Taylor

Dec 8, 2023, 10:59:25 AM12/8/23
to arclight-community
Current test environment is Windows Linux Subsystem 2 (WSL2) running Ubuntu 22.04.
Procedure:
1. Navigate to app folder "arclight' (Where arclight is installed and seems to run with command "rails s")
2. run command "rails new my-app -m https://raw.githubusercontent.com/projectblacklight/arclight/main/template.rb"
3. Result: " Can't initialize a new Rails application within the directory of another, please change to a non-Rails directory first. Type 'rails' for help.
4. So, then just start up "arclight" following directions from "Starting the server" section on page "https://github.com/projectblacklight/arclight/wiki/Creating,-installing,-and-running-your-ArcLight-application"
5. run "solr_wrapper"
6. "...open up a new terminal session..."
7. CD into "arclight" folder, run "rails s"
8 Result:

> Booting Puma
=> Rails 7.1.2 application starting in development
=> Run `bin/rails server --help` for more startup options
Puma starting in single mode...
* Puma version: 6.4.0 (ruby 3.2.2-p53) ("The Eagle of Durango")
*  Min threads: 5
*  Max threads: 5
*  Environment: development
*          PID: 1807
* Listening on http://127.0.0.1:3000
* Listening on http://[::1]:3000
Use Ctrl-C to stop

9. from a 3rd terminal session run google-chrome
10. Check solr status from Chrome at 127.0.0.1:8983/solr
11. Result is what I assume to be solr admin page with links on the left for Dashboard, Logging, Security, Core Admin, Java Properties, and Thread Dump. Main page looks to be server status info
12. Check "arclight" status from Chrome at localhost:3000
13. Result is what I assume to be a default Rails app page with a large red circle with "Rails" in the middle and text below with Rails (7.1.2) and ruby (3.2.2) version info, but no way to access the "arclight" application.
14. I've tried listing Routes and trying to access different Routes, but just get to pages indicating Route is not available.

Justin Michael Coyne

Dec 13, 2023, 11:09:53 AM12/13/23
to arclight-community

Can't initialize a new Rails application within the directory of another, please change to a non-Rails directory first. Type 'rails' for help.

Reveals the problem.  You're trying to build a new Rails app in an existing Rails app.  You have to remove the first one or switch to a different directory and then start over.

Mike Taylor

Dec 13, 2023, 11:27:49 AM12/13/23
to arclight-community
I understand why that particular error occured and it makes perfect sense. I was, though, trying to follow your directions.
I have had an installation of arclight in that folder for some time. Just like I have also had an installation of arclight in a different Ubuntu instance on AWS EC2. In both cases I found arclight easy to install by following the instructions. But when it came time to viewing the application in a browser by navigating to localhost:3000, I am only able to see the generic "Rails" page, not an "arclight" page. I assume something went wrong when files were brought over to the folder. Some Ruby file somewhere does not contain the code required. I was hoping you could help with that or direct me towards a better way to install the app or direct me towards a way to troubleshoot. Which files should I examine and what lines of code should I expect to see in them. Best.

Mike Taylor

Dec 22, 2023, 4:10:26 PM12/22/23
to arclight-community
Starting over from scratch and using the latest available files, I've been able to properly install AND access arclight. Thank you for your efforts at helping me and your time and attention. It's appreciated.