ArcLight community sprint kick off

Dinah Handel

Dec 4, 2023, 12:24:07 PM12/4/23
to arclight-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colleagues,

We're pleased to announce today's kickoff of the 2023 ArcLight community sprint, dedicated to bug fixes, accessibility updates, and documentation creation for the ArcLight application. ArcLight is a Blacklight-based discovery tool for displaying archival description and is currently in use at eight institutions. To learn more about ArcLight and see current implementations, visit the ArcLight website.

Logistics and communication

This sprint will consist of a two-week period where community members are working on the core ArcLight codebase and documentation. The sprint will run from December 4 to 15, 2023. Sprint activities will take place on the code4lib #arclight slack channel. Updates at the beginning and end of the sprint will be sent out on the ArcLight Google Group email list.

Please reach out to me with any questions or concerns about the sprint.

Purpose

The ArcLight community has not held a community sprint or workcycle since 2019. Stanford Libraries released v1.0 of the ArcLight code in January 2023. This two-week sprint is an opportunity for community members to work together on improvements and updates to the application, as well as increase individual and collective knowledge about the codebase.

Goals

  • Address existing bugs: There are currently bugs that need to be addressed, both with the application and with install and/or update to v1.0.

  • Improve accessibility: Some functionality in the application results in a11y issues.

  • Ensure ease of installation and update: ArcLight users may want to update to the latest version of the software, but run into issues. Others may want to install and customize ArcLight for their local institution but are missing key installation information.

  • Improve documentation: There is a need for better documentation across the application.

Participating institutions

  • Stanford, Duke, Columbia, Indiana, UAlbany, Harvard, UNC Chapel Hill

Code Repositories and Resources

all best,
the ArcLight community

Dinah Handel (she/her) | Digital Library Services Manager

Stanford Libraries | Digital Library Systems and Services

(650) 885-1222

* my working hours are 7am-3:30pm pacific