preliminary question before starting working/testing with arclight

Egbert Bleyenburg

Jan 2, 2019, 5:58:35 AM1/2/19
to arclight-community
One of my clients is interested in starting to use arclight, as the functionality seems to be sufficient for our use, but I can find no info about the theming Arclight.

I have two questions:
- Is it possible to change the design (without losing the ability to easily upgrade to new versions?)
- Is it possible to change the interface language?

Jessie E Keck

Jan 7, 2019, 4:50:44 PM1/7/19
to Egbert Bleyenburg, arclight-community

Hi Egbert,

Glad to hear you’re looking into using Arclight.

For your first question, yes, it is relatively easy to modify your Arclight application while retaining the ability to update (with some obvious caveats about major versions, and customizing the correct way, etc).  Arclight is an extension to Blacklight that adds some behavior to handle EAD indexing and display.  Much of the tenants for customizing a Blacklight application hold true for Arclight.

For your second question, yes, it is possible.  Blacklight and Arclight both use rails’ internationalization framework for text in the UI.  You can see the Arclight specific UI text in our locale file: https://github.com/sul-dlss/arclight/blob/master/config/locales/arclight.en.yml  Blacklight also has locale files in various other languages.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

- Jessie Keck

Stanford University