weird indexing issue

Shawn Kiewel

Nov 16, 2021, 8:58:12 AM11/16/21
to arclight-...@googlegroups.com

We’ve run into a very weird issue that we were hoping someone would have some insight into. When we index locally, everything works perfectly. However, when we index on the server, digital_objects_ssm isn’t being stored in solr. We’re pretty sure it’s not a configuration issue or indexer issue, as the solr configs and the indexer used for both local and server are checked into our repo. It’s not a data issue, as I locally indexed a file that is failing on the server, and everything worked. Anyone have any hints on where to look?

Thanks,

Shawn Kiewel

Mark A. Matienzo

Nov 16, 2021, 11:30:58 AM11/16/21
to Shawn Kiewel, arclight-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Shawn,

Could you share a copy of the finding aid and indexer and Solr configurations, if not the full repo for your application?

I’m not sure offhand what the likely issue might be, but is it possible that there might be different versions of the dependencies in your local application vs. on the server?

Mark

Mark A. MATIENZO (they/them) |  mati...@stanford.edu

Assistant Director for Digital Strategy and Access, Stanford Libraries

I work from the unceded ancestral lands of the Duwamish people in Seattle, WA

Shawn Kiewel

Nov 16, 2021, 3:43:19 PM11/16/21
to Mark A. Matienzo, arclight-...@googlegroups.com

It looks like my sysadmin sorted it. It had to do with data persistence in the docker container. Here’s what he had to say:

“Yes, the indexing problem was a container configuration problem. We were retaining the previous solr config by mistake - the volume with persistent data was overwriting the newly loaded solr config every time, so we were running the reindex repeatedly against the old solr configuration even in a new container. When you bind mount into a docker container on top of an existing directory, the data that was already present in the container is 'lost'

This was fixed by dropping the persistent data for now, but in the future we are going to move the core creation out of the container build process”

Thanks again, Mark, for the quick offer of assistance!

Shawn