ArcLight Phase II work cycle wrap up and final demo

Mark A. Matienzo

Nov 4, 2019, 8:24:27 AM11/4/19
to Mark A. Matienzo

Colleagues,

From August 12-October 11, contributors from Stanford University, Duke University, Indiana University, University of Michigan, and Princeton University focused efforts on continuing work on ArcLight, a discovery platform for archives based on Blacklight. During this nine-week period, work included:

  • A substantial redesign of collection and component displays, search results, context trees, and online content
  • A rewritten indexing pipeline for loading data into Solr, built using Traject and addressing performance concerns
  • A new group-by-collection feature for search results
  • Many changes to improve usability and accessibility in ArcLight, with some changes made upstream to Blacklight
  • Better support for request management integration, including integration with Aeon through either externally-hosted EAD files or Aeon’s external request endpoint
  • Programmatically generated download links, e.g. for PDF or EAD versions of finding aids
  • Improvements to relevance ranking

These changes have been released as ArcLight 0.3.0, now available both on Github and from Rubygems.

Our final 37-minute demo video can be seen on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd-qgFKWhdo – and all past demos from the work cycle are available as well. Our shared demo instance of ArcLight has also been updated.

Please join me in thanking our contributors from this work cycle, including developers, designers, product owners, and management:

  • Duke University: Sean Aery, Noah Huffman, Will Sexton
  • Indiana University: Michelle Dalmau, Jon Dunn, Jim Halliday, Julie Hardesty
  • University of Michigan: Bill Dueber, Max Eckard, Gordon Leacock, Chris Powell, Esty Thomas, John Weise
  • Notch8: Lea Ann Bradford
  • Princeton University: Christina Chortaria, Esmé Cowles, James Griffin, Regine Heberlein, Nikitas Tampakis
  • Stanford University: Chris Beer, Tom Cramer, Gary Geisler, Jessie Keck, Mark Matienzo, Jack Reed, Josh Schneider, Camille Villa, Jennifer Vine

All best,

Mark

Mark A. MATIENZO |  mati...@stanford.edu |  +1 (650) 683-5769

Assistant Director for Digital Strategy and Access

Digital Library Systems and Services, Stanford University Libraries

https://library.stanford.edu/people/matienzo

My pronouns are they/them