Dead website, dead mirror, tell me what I need to do to take it over so we don't have dead ppc archlinux.

Las Tebil

Sep 21, 2012, 6:45:39 AM9/21/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
Subject should explain all, but in short:

I think I have over a month of rsync failures from my mirroring scripts.  Our primary ppc mirror has been down for that long.

I don't know if I even got the new iso image before it went offline.

The website isn't up.  It hasn't been up for that time.  We've had people come into irc looking for the files/web, and since there's such small amount of talking there, we miss the conversations... but it woudln't matter anyway because the primary location for files is offline/down/dead.

I work for an ISP.  I host the Finnish mirror.  I will host the webpages.  I will host anything to keep this going.  I have waay too many ppc machines to let this go offline.

Just let me know what we need to put up to host.  I have connectivity and boxes that can host.

(We won't host on ppc YET, because the ppc Xserve I have won't boot archlinux yet.  I haven't had time to try installing - the machine has no video card so it requires serial, and that's buggy hardware.  So we'll use x86 servers for a while.)

Just - let's get this back visible so some stuff can happen.

Enric Caussa Morales

Sep 21, 2012, 10:01:43 AM9/21/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
Hey Las,

I used to contribute quite a bit for Arch/PPC, and have a mirror of the
SVN on Jonimus' box. I only have the PKGBUILDs for the whole system
until I could last contribute to the project.

If you want to take over the project, you will need plenty of time,
since there are huge upgrades to do. If you still have a spare ppc box,
I could carry on contributing to the project. I used to have an iBook G4
that broke when the summer came to Spain.

IIRC the project has to be hosted on an Arch machine, but it doesn't
have to be a PPC. I guess it could even be hosted on an Arch chroot
inside a Debian system.

Besides building and upgrading packages, let me know how I can be of
help.

Cheers,

Enric
--
Enric Caussa Morales
<m...@enric.me>

Las Tebil

Sep 22, 2012, 4:32:39 AM9/22/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com

Well time, I have not so much of... bandwidth and uptime I do.  PPC machines also. Just, well, not enough time.

I can administer the website, mirors, svn and/or git repos, but I cannot take over the whole project.

Wasn't my intent to do so, just get the mirrors,web, etc ONLINE.  And have them REMAIN online.

On 21 Sep 2012 13:45, Las Tebil wrote:
>    Subject should explain all, but in short:
>
>    I think I have over a month of rsync failures from my mirroring
>    scripts. Â Our primary ppc mirror has been down for that long.

>    I don't know if I even got the new iso image before it went offline.
>
>    The website isn't up. Â It hasn't been up for that time. Â We've had

>    people come into irc looking for the files/web, and since there's such
>    small amount of talking there, we miss the conversations... but it
>    woudln't matter anyway because the primary location for files is
>    offline/down/dead.
>
>    I work for an ISP. Â I host the Finnish mirror. Â I will host the
>    webpages. Â I will host anything to keep this going. Â I have waay too

>    many ppc machines to let this go offline.
>
>    Just let me know what we need to put up to host. Â I have connectivity

>    and boxes that can host.
>
>    (We won't host on ppc YET, because the ppc Xserve I have won't boot
>    archlinux yet. Â I haven't had time to try installing - the machine has
>    no video card so it requires serial, and that's buggy hardware. Â So

JJ DaNiMoTh

Sep 22, 2012, 6:07:44 AM9/22/12
On 22/09/12 at 11:32am, Las Tebil wrote:
> Well time, I have not so much of... bandwidth and uptime I do. PPC
> machines also. Just, well, not enough time.

Hello,

the status of the archlinux projects is "frozen". Nobody has time to make
packages, which is the first aim of a project like that. Enricus made a great
job before his ppc died, followed few days later by mine.

I have a x86 box, and from here I managed a little the website and the
repository. But our founder, kth5, have other problems with his work. Nobody
payed the server, so it's for that if you can't see it online.

We managed all backend operation (website, repository, etc) with the Arch
official tools, which are made to work in an Archlinux environment. You could
check them, and my modifies to them, on my gitorious page [1].

So, I think I could not be of help anymore: I have no time left to dedicate
here :(

I could ask how to retrieve all things from old server, if you want to move, but
I think the last word is for kth5.

Have a nice day

[1] https://gitorious.org/archlinux-ppc

cyberic

Sep 22, 2012, 5:57:55 PM9/22/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
 have a ppc to donate from france if anyone is interested.

Las Tebil

Sep 22, 2012, 7:31:33 PM9/22/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com

Yes at least a website saying this would be good. I can host this.

I will stop trying to mirror. Other mirrors should be notified as well.

Las Tebil

Sep 22, 2012, 7:33:05 PM9/22/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com

Well hardware isn't an issue here. Time and nonbooting g5 machines are. Maybe I will lookat it ina while.

Jon Sturm

Sep 23, 2012, 11:38:53 PM9/23/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
I can give any dev's interested in picking this up access to a booting
Dual G5 2Ghz machine. I also still have a Dual G5 Xserve owned by
kth5 that I can at least get online if there is some interest in
picking things up.

Jon

Jan Hartman

Sep 24, 2012, 5:11:50 AM9/24/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
Although I doubt that any dev in Switzerland would have problems finding hardware, i would have an iLamp (iMac G4) or a G5 Power Mac to contribute.
Just started my bachelors though, so I don't have any time either...

Jan

JJ DaNiMoTh

Oct 1, 2012, 11:30:59 AM10/1/12
On 21/09/12 at 01:45pm, Las Tebil wrote:
> The website isn't up. It hasn't been up for that time. We've had people
> come into irc looking for the files/web, and since there's such small
> amount of talking there, we miss the conversations... but it woudln't
> matter anyway because the primary location for files is offline/down/dead.

Payments are done, but our kernel panics (/sbin/init not found). Who tried a
pacman -Syu without upgrading the bootloader?

Kth5?

Las Tebil

Oct 4, 2012, 6:53:43 PM10/4/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com

Well perhaps I can mirror the website in case of emergencies?

drago...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2013, 3:55:33 PM2/15/13
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com

> Just - let's get this back visible so some stuff can happen.

I would like to help. I would even like to take over the project.
What needs to be done? I have a working G4 (Debian at the moment because arch is broken), but I'm working on getting new machines. I can find hosting for a mirror if needed. I don't want this project to die!

JJ DaNiMoTh

Feb 16, 2013, 7:06:49 AM2/16/13
On 15/02/13 at 12:55pm, Drago...@gmail.com wrote:

> I would like to help. I would even like to take over the project.
> What needs to be done? I have a working G4 (Debian at the moment because arch is broken), but I'm working on getting new machines. I can find hosting for a mirror if needed. I don't want this project to die!

Fast reply: use Debian.

Long reply: I could ask if somewhere exists a backup copy of
archlinuxppc.org. If not, you're in trouble, you need to bootstrap an
archlinux environment from an already up system, then install this
system, then expand this system.
You can use scripts from archlinux.org to manage things (database,
website, etc) but it could be very tricky for one person to manage it
all.

I think it's right time to use Debian on PPC platform.

JJ DaNiMoTh

Feb 16, 2013, 8:52:48 AM2/16/13
On 16/02/13 at 01:06pm, JJ DaNiMoTh wrote:
> On 15/02/13 at 12:55pm, Drago...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I would like to help. I would even like to take over the project.
> > What needs to be done? I have a working G4 (Debian at the moment because arch is broken), but I'm working on getting new machines. I can find hosting for a mirror if needed. I don't want this project to die!
> >

> Fast reply: use Debian.
>
> Long reply: I could ask if somewhere exists a backup copy of
> archlinuxppc.org. If not, you're in trouble, you need to bootstrap an

No backup copy for archlinuxppc.org. All things I could get is the
lastest Live CD (don't know if works for everyone), and a SVN repo for
the PKGBUILDs.

drago...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2013, 9:14:50 AM2/16/13
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
That's a good place to start.

Where can I download?
The latest live iso is hard to find for PowerPC.
At least I can start storage/backup.
I've got to figure out how to remake the livecd.
I can do lots of cross compiling...

JJ DaNiMoTh

Feb 21, 2013, 10:00:39 AM2/21/13
On 16/02/13 at 06:14am, Drago...@gmail.com wrote:
> That's a good place to start.
>
> Where can I download?
> The latest live iso is hard to find for PowerPC.
> At least I can start storage/backup.
> I've got to figure out how to remake the livecd.
> I can do lots of cross compiling...

ftp://ftp.rediris.es/mirror/archlinux-ppc/iso/

All things you need.
Hope this could help you.

sacarde

May 8, 2013, 3:00:23 PM5/8/13
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
hi,
   I try to install archppc from iso:
 2010-07-23

and repo:

but when I start to install packages ... I have this error:

thank you

JJ DaNiMoTh

May 8, 2013, 4:15:03 PM5/8/13
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com

André Faria

Jun 27, 2013, 8:14:03 AM6/27/13
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
Any updates on this?
Some months ago I saw a video on youtube about a guy trying to review ArchPPC, but now the videos was deleted and no news about this.
As Zen from powerpc liberation say http://powerpcliberation.blogspot.pt/2013/06/new-policy-on-mac-os-content.html we need linux for powerpc, more security, new apps,etc.
Given the fact that aur can compile sources for software I guess Arch could be a valuable distro for powerpc.

JJ DaNiMoTh

Jun 27, 2013, 8:38:58 AM6/27/13
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
We have no more developers, and no incentives to get back our work. I
think powerpc will be (or is?) a dead architecture, and that for the
last rants we have debian.

You want archPPC back? Invest some money, assume one (maybe two) guys
and let them do all the work. I could be one of them, and also enr1x
could be.

You want to do all things? Sites and repo scripts are online (they was
the same from x86 guys), somewhere exists a live cd, and if not you
could recreate yourself one with a debian live, wgetting pacman package
and install all things in another partition.
For the software: did you understand that nobody is taking care to check
powerpc compatibility, yes? So maybe you can have sources, but with
certain probability you need to patch them. Are you capable of doing
that? Do you know PowerPC assembly language?