LiveCD beta Released!

JJ DaNiMoTh

Mar 5, 2012, 5:18:13 AM3/5/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm glad to release the beta version of the new livecd / installer at
[1]. There are some test which you could do, one which *everyone* could
do, also who has already installed archppc, and another which who want
to install archppc could try. Meanwhile, I'm trying to get out
linux-pmac-nosmp and linux-pmac-nosmp64, to install archppc under qemu.

## First test - Everyone could do it

Simply, burn the iso on a CD (CD-RW, so you don't lost the CD if we
release another) and try to boot with it (holding C when mac boots).
Four kernels are available: arch, arch-ofonly and 64 bit version of
them. After a successfull boot with arch (or arch64) report your
hardware.
Mine: G4 with aTi, 1GB RAM, successfully booted "arch".
Please note that I'm interested on 64 bit bug reports, as I haven't a G5
to test it.

## Second test - installation

I have modified old installer to work with linux-pmac and linux-pmac64
packages. I could have miss something, as I can't test the installation
right now. So, try it, and report in real time any problem.

PS: Use our mirrors if you can.

[1]
http://archlinuxppc.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/archlinuxppc/iso/2012.03.04-beta/archlinux-2012.03.04-ppc.iso

signature.asc

kthfive

Mar 6, 2012, 3:56:32 PM3/6/12
On 03/05/2012 04:18 AM, JJ DaNiMoTh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm glad to release the beta version of the new livecd / installer at
> [1]. There are some test which you could do, one which *everyone* could
> do, also who has already installed archppc, and another which who want
> to install archppc could try. Meanwhile, I'm trying to get out
> linux-pmac-nosmp and linux-pmac-nosmp64, to install archppc under qemu.

If you want to help us qemu guys, please take priority on
linux-pmac-nosmp only. Enabled SMP kernel support for pmac64 works fine,
yet more than one CPU isn't supported by qemu. Runs, but makes no sense
if 32bit works fine.

David Liana

Mar 6, 2012, 10:26:27 PM3/6/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't boot on my Power Mac G4 Quick Silver.
Looks like the kernel/udev has issues trying the DVD device. Same issue
I had with the old install (it couldn't find my root partition - /dev/sda4)

JJ DaNiMoTh

Mar 7, 2012, 3:35:29 AM3/7/12
Il giorno mar, 06/03/2012 alle 22.26 -0500, David Liana ha scritto:

> It doesn't boot on my Power Mac G4 Quick Silver.
> Looks like the kernel/udev has issues trying the DVD device. Same issue
> I had with the old install (it couldn't find my root partition - /dev/sda4)

It hangs on loading initramfs or when the control passes to /sbin/init
(when you see coloured text, it is /sbin/init, before that it is
initramfs) ?

Booting the CD without root= parameter works?

It can find /dev/by-label/ArchPPC or not?

Thank you

signature.asc

David Liana

Mar 7, 2012, 6:28:26 PM3/7/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
Please see below as I replied inline...

On 03/07/2012 03:35 AM, JJ DaNiMoTh wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 06/03/2012 alle 22.26 -0500, David Liana ha scritto:
>
>> It doesn't boot on my Power Mac G4 Quick Silver.
>> Looks like the kernel/udev has issues trying the DVD device. Same issue
>> I had with the old install (it couldn't find my root partition - /dev/sda4)
> It hangs on loading initramfs or when the control passes to /sbin/init
> (when you see coloured text, it is /sbin/init, before that it is
> initramfs) ?

Looks like it's after /sbin/init is started. It appears to be udev.
I've attached a picture.

> Booting the CD without root= parameter works?

I haven't tried passing a root= parameter.

> It can find /dev/by-label/ArchPPC or not?

Nope as posted above.

> Thank you

100_0283.JPG

kthfive

Mar 7, 2012, 6:31:10 PM3/7/12
On 03/07/2012 05:28 PM, David Liana wrote:
>> It can find /dev/by-label/ArchPPC or not?
>
> Nope as posted above.

Could you check what modules are loaded by running a `cat
/proc/modules`? It could be it didn't load the cdrom or isofs driver for
some reason.

Cheers,
-k

David Liana

Mar 7, 2012, 6:35:08 PM3/7/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't look like it loaded... what module(s) should I load?

I'm running a Power Mac G4 Quick Silver.

kthfive

Mar 7, 2012, 6:41:21 PM3/7/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com

David Liana

Mar 7, 2012, 6:47:10 PM3/7/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
It looks like this loades farther but doesn't work with my nvidia card.

Also if I go into my old install it looks like I don't have all the pata
drivers.

kthfive

Mar 7, 2012, 6:54:01 PM3/7/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com

David Liana

Mar 7, 2012, 7:07:35 PM3/7/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
Not a problem as I can pop in a compatible ATI card.

Should I roll my own kernel or is there a package for the pata drivers?

JJ DaNiMoTh

Mar 8, 2012, 4:58:54 AM3/8/12
Il giorno mer, 07/03/2012 alle 17.54 -0600, kthfive ha scritto:
> @Danimoth
>
> Is there linux-firmware installed on the cd?

On the CD is installed all "base" pkgs and their dependencies, so
linux-firmware should be installed as dependency of linux-pmac{64}.

For David, could you in the recovery console do commands? If yes, try
them:

# ls /dev/disk/by-label
# lsmod
# dmesg

To maintain these output, you could use a usbcard.. just mount it and
redirect output to some file on it. Ah, the card must be in ext[2|3|4],
because I don't know if rw support is enabled on livecd for ntfs.

Thank you!

signature.asc

Jean S.

Mar 8, 2012, 8:24:36 PM3/8/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
Hi again!
## First test : cd boots gently on a macmini G4 (M9687)
I may try an install on this machine later, but I'd like to test it on a
pmac, first.
Z.

Jean S.

Mar 8, 2012, 7:46:15 PM3/8/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone! First of all, lots of thanks for all the good work done here.
And some more about releasing a new cd !

> For David, could you in the recovery console do commands? If yes, try
> them:
>
> # ls /dev/disk/by-label
> # lsmod
> # dmesg
>
> To maintain these output, you could use a usbcard.. just mount it and
> redirect output to some file on it. Ah, the card must be in ext[2|3|4],
> because I don't know if rw support is enabled on livecd for ntfs.
>
> Thank you!
On a Powermac G4 gigabit ethernet, I experienced exactly the same
symptom as David - see his joined pic, the only difference is I get two
"tuxes" on the top, showing the two CPU are taken into consideration.
The same when booting on arch-ofonly.

From the recovery console,
# ls /dev/disk/by-label
gives nothing back : there's no such directory. In /dev/disk/by-path, I
only get the usbkey on which were redirected the following commands
output (actually /dev/sda).
So here are attached my full dmesg and lsmod output.

See you soon
Z.

P.S. Though the usbkey was under fat16 format and the fat and vfat
modules had been loaded, I had to format it in ext4 to be able to write
on it.

dmesg.txt
lsmod.txt

David Liana

Mar 9, 2012, 7:52:20 AM3/9/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
I think some drivers are going to have to be added to the kernel for the
pmac any way. I used an old CD to boot and none of the pata/cdrom
drivers are present and/or load correctly.

David Liana

Mar 9, 2012, 7:53:12 AM3/9/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
I'm talking about once the system is installed.

kthfive

Mar 9, 2012, 12:43:03 PM3/9/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com

JJ DaNiMoTh

Mar 9, 2012, 2:01:57 PM3/9/12
Il giorno ven, 09/03/2012 alle 11.43 -0600, kthfive ha scritto:
> On 03/08/2012 06:46 PM, Jean S. wrote:
> > From the recovery console, # ls /dev/disk/by-label gives nothing
> > back : there's no such directory. In /dev/disk/by-path, I only get
> > the usbkey on which were redirected the following commands output
> > (actually /dev/sda). So here are attached my full dmesg and lsmod
> > output.
> >

> Problem found!
>
> In your case there is no storage driver other than usb-storage loaded
> at all. Loading pata_macio andd then cdrom should fix this. I remember
> having forced the load of the pata_macio in the older installer just
> because udev doesn't like to pick it up. Same as with snd-powermac.
>
> Cheers,
> -k

You added rules to rc.conf? I could do the same. Nice catch! (but don't
know why on my system I didn't noticed these..)

signature.asc

David Liana

Mar 9, 2012, 6:15:11 PM3/9/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
Would it be possible to get these drivers in the kernel on testing so
that I can use my original install?

Thanks

kthfive

Mar 9, 2012, 6:16:57 PM3/9/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com

David Liana

Mar 9, 2012, 6:19:54 PM3/9/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
They don't appear to be in /lib/modules on my install - unless I need
another package.

jjDaNiMoTh

Mar 10, 2012, 5:01:25 AM3/10/12
2012/3/10 David Liana <dli...@frontiernet.net>:

> They don't appear to be in /lib/modules on my install - unless I need
> another package.

So, I sincerely confuse all things.

Are you talking about liveCD? From what I heard, on some system udev
doesn't load pata_macio, sr_mod and cdrom. That's will be fixed in
next release, adding them directly on the initramfs image (or directly
into linux-pmac preset for mkinitcpio.. I think it is a module we all
need)

Are you talking about the system you installed? In that case, LiveCD
was working fine? On the installed system, what kernel are you using?
I'm using linux-pmac 3.2.5, and modules are all there:

[danimoth@jim 3.2.5-1-ARCH64]$ pacman -Qo kernel/drivers/ata/pata_macio.ko.gz
kernel/drivers/ata/pata_macio.ko.gz is owned by linux-pmac64 3.2.5-1
[danimoth@jim 3.2.5-1-ARCH64]$ cd ..
[danimoth@jim modules]$ cd 3.2.5-1-ARCH
[danimoth@jim 3.2.5-1-ARCH]$ pacman -Qo kernel/drivers/ata/pata_macio.ko.gz
kernel/drivers/ata/pata_macio.ko.gz is owned by linux-pmac 3.2.5-1

I don't know what you are referring to, as in testing there aren't
kernel packages. I know I broke things everyday, but I know that also
I quickly fix them if people are giving me the right spot where work
on. (Tip for jonimus: I haven't a 64 bit machine, so I feel that the
kernel I build will work, but if nobody files bugs I can't know
certainly)

Thank you all
--
Stay open, be free.

David Liana

Mar 10, 2012, 12:50:58 PM3/10/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Danimoth

Sorry for the confusion.

On my Powermac G4 QuckSilver, it doesn't appear that I have that
directory on my actual install. I can try to re-install the kernel
packages though.

I had to use a 2010 version of the live CD because my screen goes blank
an the last two live CD's. I have an nvidia card.

JJ DaNiMoTh

Mar 10, 2012, 1:36:02 PM3/10/12
Il giorno sab, 10/03/2012 alle 12.50 -0500, David Liana ha scritto:
> I had to use a 2010 version of the live CD because my screen goes blank
> an the last two live CD's. I have an nvidia card.

This is out of topic: older installation media are unsupported (and are
BROKEN long time ago) due to high changes on packages.

Try the newer. If the screen goes blank, try arch-ofonly.

signature.asc

David Liana

Mar 10, 2012, 2:00:57 PM3/10/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
That doesn't work either, FYI

I have to install my ATI card in order to boot.

David Liana

Mar 10, 2012, 2:07:59 PM3/10/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
Also the installer is broken - can't find the "dialog" command.

Will

Mar 13, 2012, 3:37:58 AM3/13/12
to archlinuxppc-user
On my iMac G4 (800Mhz, 256MB RAM, April 2002) I also drop to a prompt
just after booting the CD, but 'modprobe pata_macio' gets the install
running again.

In order to get past 'Waiting for Udev uevents to be processed' I had
to modify the append line in yaboot conf to include
'nouveau.modeset=0' to prevent the nouveau graphics driver from
and borks the display).

When running /arch/setup I found that the 'dialog' command was
missing.
I ran 'find / -name dialog' but that didn't find anything so it wasn't
just the PATH that was wrong.

Downloaded dialog package from http://ftp.archlinuxppc.org/core/os/ppc/dialog-1.1_20111020-1-ppc.pkg.tar.xz
using MacBook and copied over to install system by USB stick.
Installed with 'pacman -U dialog-1.1_20111020-1-ppc.pkg.tar.xz'. Was
then able to run /arch/setup.

First item in installer was to configure the network. The installer
claimed I had no network interfaces. Checking on another terminal
using 'ip addr' and both eth0 (wired) and eth1 (airport) were present
but didn't seem to have loaded properly. 'ip addr' just displayed
their MAC addresses and DOWN - it usually gives a lot more
information. Will try booting from old install CD and running 'lsmod'
to see which modules loaded for the network adapter there.

Thanks for trying to get a new install CD working.
Will post back if I can get the networking running.

On Mar 5, 10:18 am, JJ DaNiMoTh <jjdanim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm glad to release the beta version of the new livecd / installer at
> [1]. There are some test which you could do, one which *everyone* could
> do, also who has already installed archppc, and another which who want
> to install archppc could try. Meanwhile, I'm trying to get out
> linux-pmac-nosmp and linux-pmac-nosmp64, to install archppc under qemu.
>
> ## First test - Everyone could do it
>
> Simply, burn the iso on a CD (CD-RW, so you don't lost the CD if we
> release another) and try to boot with it (holding C when mac boots).
> Four kernels are available: arch, arch-ofonly and 64 bit version of
> them. After a successfull boot with arch (or arch64) report your
> hardware.
> Mine: G4 with aTi, 1GB RAM, successfully booted "arch".
> Please note that I'm interested on 64 bit bug reports, as I haven't a G5
> to test it.
>
> ## Second test - installation
>
> I have modified old installer to work with linux-pmac and linux-pmac64
> packages. I could have miss something, as I can't test the installation
> right now. So, try it, and report in real time any problem.
>
> PS: Use our mirrors if you can.
>
> [1]http://archlinuxppc.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/archlinuxppc/iso/2012.03.0...
>
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

JJ DaNiMoTh

Mar 13, 2012, 6:20:10 PM3/13/12
Il giorno mar, 13/03/2012 alle 00.37 -0700, Will ha scritto:

> > PS: Use our mirrors if you can.
> >
> > [1]http://archlinuxppc.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/archlinuxppc/iso/2012.03.0...

I have build a report with all reported problems, and I'll build soon as
possible.. I'm without the power supply as my sister accidentally broke
it ^_^

For what I heard:

- pata_macio forced load
- Install dialog package for older installation framework
- Autoload ethernet drivers
- Add a kernel option for NVIDIA users: with or without modeset (this
can be added to the help line instead)

Thank you all

signature.asc

Will

Mar 14, 2012, 3:51:08 AM3/14/12
to archlinuxppc-user
OK so I was wrong about the ethernet drivers - sungem had loaded just
fine. The issue was (I assume) that the installer (like me) doesn't
understand the new 'ip' commands - it was probably scripted to use
ifconfig commands and ifconfig isn't present. After following the Arch
wiki page for setting up networking using 'ip' I got the networking
working manually.

Partitioning worked fine.

Package selection and download worked fine.

Next problem was installing the packages. For each package the
installer asked pacman to install I got the error: Public keyring not
found have you run 'pacman-key --init?'
I followed the wiki pages on configuring gpg to use an alternate
keyserver, and to configure pacman-key with the most recent keys but
it didn't help.
I tried adding SigLevel = Never to /etc/pacman.conf to prevent key
checking but I couldn't stop the installer overwriting /etc/
pacman.conf immediately before package installation started so I don't
think it had any effect.
In the end I ran 'pacman -Ur /mnt *' from within /mnt/var/cache/pacman/
pkg and the packages installed just fine.

On rebooting the initramfs couldn't detect my HD. I rebooted into the
install CD, added 'pata_macio' to the MODULES line in /etc/
initramfs.conf (typing this from memory so the filename might be
slightly different) and ran 'initramfs -g /boot/initramfs.img' (used
tab completion to get the exact command) to regenerate the initramfs.
From this I was able to boot successfully.

On boot udev printed errors about nvidafb and rivafb and hung for
about 20 seconds, but was then killed by the init script and I was
able to login.

I wasn't able to install much using pacman though - a lot of packages
seem to be missing in core and extra.

Will
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

Enric Morales

Mar 15, 2012, 4:36:57 PM3/15/12
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
I have already got a CD-RW and burned the ISO. I saw that, besides from the missing packages, /arch/setup is still based on the old setup script, so I have a proposal: we can port it to AIF [1]. I know it's going to be quite a good amount of work, but it'll let us keep up with the x86 changes. I installed the latest iso from x86 on a laptop I was given and can say it's improved a lot, so we can take advantage of this.