iso/image wanted

Wynton Tietjen

Feb 12, 2017, 5:14:17 PM2/12/17
to archlinuxppc-user
hello everybody,

does anybody have the last isos of archppc? or a driveimage from a archppc installation?

it would be nice when anybody send me a iso or a image.

thanks!

cyberic

Feb 12, 2017, 7:24:07 PM2/12/17
to archlinuxppc-user
Hello

All I've got is an old 2011-03-05_archppc-ftp.iso.
Are you interested?

Jean Z.

Feb 13, 2017, 1:13:17 PM2/13/17
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
I just found an archlinux-2012.03.04-ppc.iso (196.3 Mo)
I don't remember if there was any other later.
--

---

Wynton Tietjen

Feb 19, 2017, 6:46:34 AM2/19/17
to archlinuxppc-user
Yeah, can you upload this too? :)

2012.05.04? is the lastest iso image, but 2012.03.04 is great too.

Wynton Tietjen

Feb 19, 2017, 6:46:34 AM2/19/17
to archlinuxppc-user
yes! can you upload this? that would be really nice!

cyberic

Feb 20, 2017, 5:26:14 PM2/20/17
to archlinuxppc-user

Wynton Tietjen

Feb 21, 2017, 10:19:43 AM2/21/17
to archlinuxppc-user
wow thank you very much! :) :)

cyberic

Feb 21, 2017, 11:14:48 AM2/21/17
to archlinuxppc-user
You' re welcome!
Keep us updated about what you achieve!

Wynton Tietjen

Feb 22, 2017, 2:15:30 AM2/22/17
to archlinuxppc-user
since last week, i try to build all core packages on my powerbook g4 with debian. works good.

https://pinkiserver.mine.nu/archppc/core/

the first step is to compile all packages with the magic power of apt-get build-dep and lot of powerpc-pkgbuild tuning, than i run makepkg (yes, ive compiled pacman under debian)

the next step is to install the packages in a qcow2 image, automate the makepkg, and build core again from a dirty-archppc installation! so, i have clean arch packages without any debian header/api/somewhere!

now, the most of the big packages are compiled, i hope it work.

cross compile was pain in the ***, makepkg/abs have no good option to build packages for powerpc on an x86_64 host.

when you need some arch linux powerpc feeling, i had make a kernel + initramfs 2? weeks ago:

http://wyntoncraft.t23h.de/archppc/vmlinux
http://wyntoncraft.t23h.de/archppc/archppc002-initramfs.cpio.gz

you need 1 gb ram at least, otherwise it refuse to boot.

- Busybox 1.26.2
- Binutils 2.27
- glibc 2.25
- linux 4.9.8 (Arch Linux config)
- linux-api-headers 4.9.8
- ncurses 6.0
- file 5.29

http://pixelbanane.de/yafu/746760575/2017-02-10-213829_1366x768_scrot.png

Sorry for my bad englisch, and my bad skills.. but, it works for me and now im learning more and more linux/compiler/porting stuff!

cyberic

Feb 22, 2017, 3:56:21 AM2/22/17
to archlinuxppc-user
You run makepkg only to repack compiled binaries, or you compile with makepkg?
do you have the 'abs' package? It should contain PKGBUILDS already patched for ppc, I think
Or you have some ppc PKGBUILDS here:
https://git.vinilox.eu/vinilox/archlinux-ppc_svn-repo-mirror/tree/master
It is great to have such a modern kernel running on a PPC!

Wynton Tietjen

Feb 23, 2017, 4:24:58 PM2/23/17
to archlinuxppc-user
i compile with makepkg

the pkgbuilds are too old for newest pacman, i change the new x86 and arm pkgbuild to powerpc

only for the kernel i use a old pkgbuild, too many specific powerpc commands

the next step after the first core build is to optimize the pkgbuild for altivec and more great stuff

Jon Sturm

Feb 24, 2017, 6:06:42 PM2/24/17
to archlinu...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if this is useful to you or not but I ran Arch PPC on my Wii
and have a full installed and bootable image here:
http://jonimoose.net/archii/

Ifs obviously going to be super out dated but it may also be useful to
you. I also have a spare Dual G5 PowerMac sitting around that could be
of use if people are interested in reviving things.

Wynton Tietjen

Feb 26, 2017, 10:49:59 AM2/26/17
to archlinuxppc-user
thanks for sharing your image, it can be useful when my "project" fail! :)

so i archive it on my server.

today, i try to boot up my new core system! pacman works great on debian with --root= , every package installs fine and the database work correctly. i had big hope to release my first archppc release in march 2017.

testers welcome.

Andrei Petrov

Sep 15, 2018, 3:53:11 AM9/15/18
to archlinuxppc-user
Hi Wynton TietJen,

have you compiled arch ppc since your last post ? Can you share the image please if you have it ? I'm powerbook g4 owner but i would like to use the arch instead of gentoo and i'm ready to be a beta tester for your arch ppc distro.

With Best Regards,

Andrei Petrov.

Wynton Tietjen

Dec 28, 2018, 2:31:20 PM12/28/18
to archlinuxppc-user
Hello, Andrei.

this reporsitory is not complete, because in this year (and the last) i was seriously ill. now, my healthy is good but less time.

i install Debian 10 Buster (from ports.debian.org) on my PowerBook G4, new software, new kernel and runs good.

Wynton Tietjen

Dec 28, 2018, 2:42:41 PM12/28/18
to archlinuxppc-user
uh oh, i miss some packages, thats not all! i look in the next days at home.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Andrei Petrov

Dec 29, 2018, 8:35:21 AM12/29/18
to archlinuxppc-user
Hi Wynton,

Great news! Hope you are OK and all the backs! I didn't know that there is a debian 10 build for powerpc exists. Can you write mini-howto how to build Arch Linux on a top of Debian please ?