Plugins for better Finding Aid PDF display in the public interface?

amar...@springfieldcollege.edu

Apr 20, 2022, 4:02:06 PMApr 20
to ArchivesSpace
Greetings,

We are an Atlas-hosted ArchivesSpace institution and are looking to customize our interface. This is our first foray into making changes to the default Aspace installation.

One of the issues that our archivist has identified is the discrepancy between how Finding Aid PDFs generate on the staff interface versus the public interface. The staff interface has a better layout than what we're serving the public.

Is anyone aware of a plugin that can make the PDFs on the public side look more similar to those on the staff interface? Are there any plugins that will finesse the PDFs in general?

Best wishes,
Alli Martel
Digital Technologies Librarian
Springfield College

James Bullen

Apr 20, 2022, 8:18:21 PMApr 20
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

Hi Alli,

It’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but this plugin we recently developed for Texas State does provide an alternative public PDF generator, and perhaps a starting point for further customization:

It includes a couple of example PDFs generated using the plugin, for example:

Cheers,
James

amar...@springfieldcollege.edu

Apr 22, 2022, 8:42:08 AMApr 22
to ArchivesSpace
Hi James,

Thank you so much! This plugin looks great. I've begun looking into the customizations that our archivist would like to have added.

Best wishes,
Alli

amar...@springfieldcollege.edu

May 6, 2022, 3:57:27 PMMay 6
to ArchivesSpace
Hi James,

We've installed the plugin but are running into errors when exporting the PDF in the PUI. Two of our records generates PDFs as expected, but the rest (!) are giving the "We're sorry, but something went wrong" 500 error message.

I've attached a logfile from the PUI. I'm not sure what it is that I should be looking for in order to diagnose the problem.

Are there any other things that we need to look out for save what's listed on the plugin readme file?
  • Repository Name
  • Parent Institution Name
  • Branding Image URL (ref to a banner image for the title page)
Thanks again,
Alli
050622_aspace_log.txt

James Bullen

May 6, 2022, 8:32:30 PMMay 6
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

Hi Alli,

Unfortunately the log doesn’t give any clues. Someone else reported a problem that might be the same as the one you’re hitting. There’s a new version:

Also, just a reminder, this was developed for Texas State’s particular needs. It was not designed with general use in mind. We would be happy to work with you to adapt it for your needs.

Cheers,
James

Allison Martel

May 10, 2022, 10:45:35 AMMay 10
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

Thanks again for your kind offer! We had Atlas install the 1.1 version of the plugin and, unfortunately, we're still receiving errors when checking our system this morning.

I can email you off-list including our archives assistant who is more familiar with our finding aids.

Best wishes,
Alli

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ArchivesSpace" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/archivesspace/093FDE56-566B-4027-BA8B-F0BB5AE58263%40gmail.com.

--

Allison Martel | Digital Technologies Librarian  (working remotely)

Springfield College
Office of Library Services

263 Alden Street
Springfield, MA 01109