Digital Preservation Is Society's Genome

PeterK

Jul 10, 2016, 12:46:47 PM7/10/16
to RAINbyte, AIN, ARCHIVES-UK, RECMGMT-L, RECMGMT-UK

An organism’s genome is the complete set of genes or genetic material present in the organism. The genome stores all the information that the organism needs to create and maintain its organs and living functions. Likewise we might say that the genome for a civilization is the set of preserved data that defines that civilization and serves as the basis of its organization and functions.

Nathan Thompson, CEO of Spectra Logic, with co-authors Bob Cone and John Kranz have published a book called “Society’s Genome: Genetic Diversity’s Role in Digital Preservation” that explores this concept. The authors this book is a guide to understanding greater trends in information storage and data preservation. The book details how vital it is to store our information, and the astounding statistics around society’s digital data growth and utilization.

http://bit.ly/29F3Pre
http://bit.ly/29F3Pre+

--
Peterk