All the President’s Email

PeterK

Jun 7, 2021, 10:45:15 PM6/7/21
to RAINbyte, AIN, RECMGMT-UK

The archivists in the US acted with impressive speed and scale to establish an archival presence for this mass of diverse material. They were able to do so because of the Presidential Records Act, but also because of the attention they gave to the issue, seeing it as of prime importance for the functioning of an open society as well as for the historical record.

There is no equivalent to the PRA in the UK, and the National Archives here have not, historically, seen the prime ministerial archives as their concern. Prime ministers’ papers are mixed up: ‘official’ papers come under the purview of the 1958 Public Records Act and the scrutiny of the Cabinet Office, while ‘private’ papers do not. The convention has been to allow the two halves of the archival record to remain together. At the Bodleian I am responsible for the papers of seven prime ministers. Churchill College, Cambridge has a further five, and the others are in various repositories around the country. The state does not directly contribute to their preservation or accessibility.

https://bit.ly/3g0IABH
https://bit.ly/3g0IABH+

--
Peterk