‘Inconceivable’: why has Australia’s history been left to rot?

PeterK

Jun 7, 2021, 10:34:22 PM6/7/21
to RAINbyte, AIN, IGGURU Listserv, RECMGMT-UK

Historians are calling it an international embarrassment for Australia and saying it is “inconceivable that it has come to this”, as they preemptively mourn the loss of “irreplaceable national history”.

The National Archives of Australia doesn’t often make headlines, but when it does, it’s rarely good news.

Last year, it famously lost a years-long legal battle to keep secret the Palace letters – a trove of correspondence between Australia’s governor-general and the Queen’s private secretary in the lead up to the dismissal of Australia’s then prime minister, Gough Whitlam, in 1975.

https://bit.ly/3weL9pa
https://bit.ly/3weL9pa+

--
Peterk