Burnley Express archive sheds light on rare Houdini film shown at Burnley Empire A recently unearthed Burnley Express article from 1905 may have shed light on a legendary lost film featuring world famous escape artists Harry Houdini.

PeterK

Aug 26, 2020, 11:06:12 PM8/26/20
to RAINbyte, AIN, RECMGMT-UK

The film, Houdini Defeats Hackenschmidt, apparently shown in March 1906 after Houdini’s performance in Boston, focuses on Houdini's miraculous escapes from manacles fastened on him by the legendary wrestler George Hackenschmidt, a.k.a. 'The Russian Lion'.

Shrouded in mystery, as befitting the legendary escapologist, the has been a mythical quest for scholars of the escapologist, with no real references seemed to exist to the film itself. Until now.

The blog wildabouthoudini.com have found a reference in the Burnley Express to the film being played at the Burnley Empire in March 1905, a year before it was even known to exist.

https://bit.ly/3b07GMJ
https://bit.ly/3b07GMJ+

--
Peterk