Schema.org actions for archives

Roke, Elizabeth Russey

Aug 21, 2019, 9:29:17 AM8/21/19
to Archives and Linked Data Interest Group

Hi all—

Glad to see those of you who could join the call yesterday.  For those who missed it, the minutes are here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AxNv1ybEaMMonAF_rvASxry8GvyIpdzFsj8VBBk1Ggk/edit

One of the items we talked about was Schema.org actions.  This is a vocabulary that allows a resulting action from the descriptive data.  So, for instance, library books have a “borrow” action, so that when you find a volume, Google can provide a link directly to borrow a book (look in the knowledge panel on the right):  https://www.google.com/search?ei=8EVdXaGvKI2Y_Qaf56fYDw&q=brown+girl+dreaming&oq=brown+girl+dreaming&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.113834.117426..117638...0.2..1.386.1441.18j3-1....2..0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i67j0i131j0i10.7AVsaMxuJKY&ved=0ahUKEwih583jh5TkAhUNTN8KHZ_zCfsQ4dUDCAo&uact=5#ba_cen=lat_e7:%20389071923%0Alng_e7:%203524598589%0A&ba_loc=Washington%20D.C.,%20DC

Does anyone on this list have thoughts about which actions might be appropriate for archives?  Or have a specific use case that the actions vocabulary might address?

___________________________

Elizabeth Russey Roke

Digital Archivist

Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, & Rare Book Library

404.727.2345 | eru...@emory.edu

id:image001.png@01D2AEF7.A1E7BDC0

"The Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, & Rare Book Library collects and connects stories of human experience, promotes access and learning, and offers opportunities for dialogue for all wise hearts who seek knowledge.”

Read the Rose Library blog: https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/marbl/

Like the Rose Library on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/emorymarbl

Follow the Rose Library on Twitter: https://twitter.com/EmoryRoseMARBL

prohibited.

Mark A. Matienzo

Aug 26, 2019, 12:17:56 PM8/26/19
to archives-and...@googlegroups.com

I like the idea of BorrowAction for reading room use, but I wonder if something more generic (and less loaded?) like a RequestAction might work. RegisterAction also seems like a reasonable starting point as well.

Mark

Mark A. MATIENZO |  mati...@stanford.edu |  +1 (650) 683-5769

Assistant Director for Digital Strategy and Access

Digital Library Systems and Services, Stanford University Libraries

https://library.stanford.edu/people/matienzo

My pronouns are they/them

Gloria Gonzalez

Aug 27, 2019, 3:32:37 PM8/27/19
to archives-and...@googlegroups.com
I really like Mark's suggestion for RequestAction. I walked through a few exercises for RequestAction and RegisterAction below.

I found RegisterAction to be very straightforward. Thinking through RequestAction however, I found myself asking which property would be best for connecting the Person making the request with the ArchiveOrganization. For the BorrowAction, the property is "lender." Below I'm using "holdingArchive" which seems to work, but I'm not sure such a specific property would fly well with a proposal for a generic RequestAction. However, that may not be an issue if we have solid use cases and an example application using RequestAction.

I ran through this pretty quickly and kept it simple (or sloppy lol) by requesting a series. I still need to think about requesting specific boxes.

I'd love to know what y'all think!

Best,
Gloria

<!-- ArchiveComponent with restricted access -->
{
  "@context": "http://schema.org/",
  "@type": ["CreativeWork","ArchiveComponent"]
  "url": "http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/8zr8k",
  "name": "Louise Thompson Patterson papers, 1909-1999",
  "conditionsOfAccess": "Collection stored off-site. Researchers must contact the Rose Library in advance to access this collection.",
  "hasPart": {
    "@type": "ArchiveComponent",
    "name": "Series 2: Correspondence, 1932-1995",
    "url": ""https://findingaids.library.emory.edu/documents/patterson869/series2/",
  },
  "holdingArchive": {
    "@type": "ArchiveOrganization",
    "name": "Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives & Rare Book Library",
    "url": "http://rose.library.emory.edu/"
  }
}

<!--Gloria registered for the Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives & Rare Book Library-->
{
  "@context": "http://schema.org",
  "@type": "RegisterAction",
  "agent": {
    "@type": "Person",
    "name": "Gloria"
  },
  "object": {
    "@type": "ArchiveOrganization",
    "name": "Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives & Rare Book Library"
  }
}

<!--Gloria requested access to Series 2 of the Louise Thompson Patterson papers, 1909-1999-->
{
  "@context": "http://schema.org",
  "@type": "RequestAction",
  "agent": {
    "@type": "Person",
    "name": "Gloria"
  },
  "object": {
    "@type": "ArchiveComponent",
    "name": "Series 2: Correspondence, 1932-1995"
  },
  "holdingArchive": {
    "@type": "ArchiveOrganization",
    "name": "Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives & Rare Book Library",
    "url": "http://rose.library.emory.edu/"
  }
}

Gloria Gonzalez

Aug 27, 2019, 3:34:02 PM8/27/19
to archives-and...@googlegroups.com
Oops, I meant that the example uses holdingArchive to connect the ArchivesOrganization to the RequestAciton, not the Person making the request! >.<

Richard Wallis

Feb 5, 2020, 9:45:24 AM2/5/20
to Archives and Linked Data Interest Group
A couple of thoughts on this.

Firstly, the main potential of identifying an Action is to indicate to the data consumers is that there is a potential action that might be appropriate for a user to instigate.

Secondly, I'm not convinced that a RequestAction is what a user is actually looking for.  They would be making a 'request' yes,  but it would be a request to view, borrow, download, etc.

Putting these two together leads me to suggest that defining a ViewAction as the potentialAction of an ArchiveComponent  would have the desired effect. Thus:
{
  "@context": "http://schema.org/",
  "@type": ["CreativeWork","ArchiveComponent"],
  "name": "Louise Thompson Patterson papers, 1909-1999",
  "conditionsOfAccess": "Collection stored off-site. Researchers must contact the Rose Library in advance to access this collection.",
  "hasPart": {
    "@type": "ArchiveComponent",
    "name": "Series 2: Correspondence, 1932-1995",
    "potentialAction": {
        "@type": "ViewAction",
    }
  },
  "holdingArchive": {
    "@type": "ArchiveOrganization",
    "name": "Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives & Rare Book Library",
  }
}

By following the target URL a user can request to view the item.  Equally BorrowAction, DownloadAction, ListenAction, ReadAction, or WatchAction could be used where appropriate.

The added benefit being that all these types already exist in Schema.org.

~Richard

-------
Richard Wallis