Wikidata Lighting the Way proposal

Roke, Elizabeth Russey

Mar 3, 2021, 11:04:46 AM3/3/21
to Archives and Linked Data Interest Group

I’m putting together a proposal for the Lighting the Way CFP focused on Wikidata and wondering if anyone in this group might like to collaborate on it with me.  I’m proposing developing a working group to explore how Wikidata fits into the archival description/discovery ecosystem.  My current draft proposal is below (but I’m open to other possibilities related to Wikidata):

Over the past two years, archivists have undertaken some preliminary experiments to connect our archival collections to Wikidata.  This includes adding properties to existing Wikidata entities that link to local finding aids and drafting preliminary mappings for archival description in Wikidata based on DACS.  While these experiments have proven fruitful, we are interested in taking a more high-level analysis of this work and exploring how Wikidata fits into the overall ecosystem of archival discovery.  This case study would analyze the benefits and limitations of integrating with Wikidata both from a practical and user standpoint.  Potential points of examination include labor requirements, workflows, and capabilities of existing tools to facilitate this work as well as ethical responsibilities and the impact/potential of a crowdsourced environment.  We would be particularly interested in collaborating with others who have been editing in Wikidata or serve communities that would benefit from being able to participate in description of their resources.

If you are interested in submitting a proposal jointly with me let me know asap.  Proposals are due Monday, March 8.  Scope of work would include a series of online meetings April-May and a final report to the Lighting the Way team of 5-10 pages.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

___________________________

Elizabeth Russey Roke

Metadata and Discovery Archivist

Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, & Rare Book Library

404.727.2345 | eru...@emory.edu

id:image001.png@01D2AEF7.A1E7BDC0

"The Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, & Rare Book Library collects and connects stories of human experience, promotes access and learning, and offers opportunities for dialogue for all wise hearts who seek knowledge.”

Read the Rose Library blog: https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/marbl/

Like the Rose Library on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/emorymarbl

Follow the Rose Library on Twitter: https://twitter.com/EmoryRoseMARBL

prohibited.

Regine I. Heberlein

Mar 5, 2021, 10:08:25 AM3/5/21
to archives-and...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, just catching up after being away from the office--I'd love to collaborate on this!