Archivematica and the end of CentOS Linux

frank....@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2021, 3:10:26 AM12/13/21
to archivematica
Hi,
We are running Archivematica on a CentOS 7 installation storing about 400GB of data, but that number is rapidly growing. As this is a very valuable system for us, we like to plan ahead, and in that regard, discussions about the future of our installation has begun.

CentOS is as you all know, on the way to be discontinued in it's present form. It's a system that has served us well, and we have recources in our IT-department well versed in running and troubleshooting it. Not so Ubuntu.

What are the plans for Archivematica's supported OS's? Will it only be Ubuntu from now on, or are other alternatives being considered in the long term? I know there is a bit of work going on getting Arcivematica to run on CentOS 8, but as that is EOL on 31 December 2021, I guess that will be short-term. Ref. the CentOS blog;

Regards,
Frank Skagemo

Sarah Romkey

Dec 14, 2021, 1:42:28 PM12/14/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frank,

This is a conversation that we're still having internally at Artefactual as we consult with users and customers. We'll post an update here when we have some more information, hopefully early in the new year.

Cheers,

Sarah

Sarah Romkey, MAS,MLIS
Archivematica Program Manager
@archivematica / @accesstomemory

arth...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2021, 10:51:27 AM12/16/21
to archivematica
I also care a lot.
Precisely for reasons related to operating system support, the installations I deal with are on CentOS for test/demo purposes only, in all other cases I use RedHat 7 positively, both for Archivematica and AtoM.

at