Unable to Connect to Storage Service

Simon Hill

Dec 6, 2016, 1:39:06 PM12/6/16
to archivematica
I am looking to setup an evaluation copy of Archivematica and have built a new Ubuntu 14.4 server within Microsoft Azure. I have followed the install instructions and all appeared to complete successfully but I have two issues

1) I am unable to connect to the server on port 8000 to connect to the storage service. I have created an inbound rule to allow traffic on this port. The dashboard is working fine.
2) I receive a 'no transfer source locations available message when accessing the dashboard.

Any help to resolve these issues would be much appreciated.

Sarah Romkey

Dec 6, 2016, 3:30:27 PM12/6/16
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

What version of Archivematica and Storage Service are you attempting to install?

What does happen when you try to access the storage service? Have you tried re-starting services? As per the installation instruction page:

sudo service uwsgi restart
sudo service nginx restart
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
sudo service gearman-job-server restart
sudo restart archivematica-mcp-server
sudo restart archivematica-mcp-client
sudo restart fits
sudo freshclam

If you installed using Ansible, you can also just run "am restart-services".

If the Storage Service isn't running, you'll continue to receive the "no transfer source locations" message until that's resolved.

Cheers,

Sarah

Sarah Romkey, MAS,MLIS
Archivematica Program Manager
Artefactual Systems
604-527-2056
@archivematica / @accesstomemory

Simon Hill

Dec 7, 2016, 4:26:54 AM12/7/16
to archivematica
Hi Sarah

Thanks for your reply.

I have installed version 1.5.0 as confirmed when I look within the dashboard under Administration>Version.

When I try to access the storage service on http://ipaddress:8080 I get an error 'connection refused' message within the browser. I changed the port from 8000 to 8080 by editing /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/storage to see if that would make any difference but it didn't.

I have tried restarting the services as per your instruction but unfortunately no success.

I am thinking it could be to do with the firewall rules for accessing the VM within Azure but the rules all look to be in place (see attached screenshot).

Azure_NSG_Inbound-Rules.PNG

Justin Simpson

Dec 7, 2016, 8:24:54 AM12/7/16
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
The screenshot of your Azure firewall rules don't look quite right.  There is a rule with the name 'http-8000', but under Service it says 'Any/8080'.  That implies I think that the firewall is open for port 8080, but the default port for the Storage Service is port 8000.

You could try re-creating that firewall rule, making sure to select port 8000.
You could also try connecting to the Storage Service from the command line, while logged in via ssh to the vm.  This would show that the Storage Service is in fact running, and prove that the problem is just a firewall issue.  After connecting to the vm by ssh, try:

curl -v http://localhost:8000

and see if that works.

Justin Simpson
Director of Archivematica Technical Services
www.artefactual.com
604-527-2056

Simon Hill

Dec 7, 2016, 9:31:55 AM12/7/16
to archivematica
Hi Justin

Thanks for your reply. The Azure rule is a red herring as I set it up originally for port 8000 (as default) hence the name but changed the default port to 8080 to see if that made any difference but forgot to rename the rule.

I will try connecting to the storage service as you suggest via the command line and will report back.

Many thanks

Simon

Simon Hill

Dec 7, 2016, 9:42:44 AM12/7/16
to archivematica
I have attached a screenshot after running curl -v http://localhost:8080 (as I have changed the default port)
Capture.PNG

Justin Simpson

Dec 7, 2016, 9:50:55 AM12/7/16
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Well, that is good. The Storage Service is running and responding on port 8080, and it replied to your request by redirecting you to the login page, which is what is supposed to happen.

If you can't see the login page for the Storage Service, when connecting to port 8080 from a remote machine, then there must be a firewall issue.  Is it possible that there is a firewall running on your vm, separate from the Azure firewall?  You could try:

sudo ufw status

to see if ufw is running?

Justin Simpson
Director of Archivematica Technical Services
www.artefactual.com
604-527-2056

Simon Hill

Dec 7, 2016, 10:16:40 AM12/7/16
to archivematica
ufw status shows as inactive.

Simon Hill

Dec 8, 2016, 12:19:45 PM12/8/16
to archivematica
Just to let you know that the Azure firewall rules were configured correctly however a firewall on our internet gateway was blocking the traffic. I can now access the storage service which is good news so I will continue to work through the configuration of our evaluation system.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Sarah Romkey

Dec 8, 2016, 12:20:22 PM12/8/16
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Glad you were able to work it out, thanks for letting us know Simon,