Learning: Installed v.1.9.x for 16.04 Xenial on an 18.04 Bionic server oops

Bruce Le Smith

Aug 22, 2021, 1:05:54 AM8/22/21
to archivematica
Hey folks,

I'm trying to learn to install Archivematica using a Raspberry Pi 4b. I have some Windows server, SharePoint on-prem, and PowerShell experience, but no Linux or Archivematica experience. So sorry for any silly questions. I'd like to improve my network/Linux knowlege, and have a personal little Archivematica dev sandbox to play with at home.

I accidentally ran some of the commands to install the Archivematica v.1.9.3 repositories for Ubuntu server 16.04 (Xenial) on an Ubuntu server 18.04 (Bionic) tonight. Too many browser tabs open from too many web searches! I thought seeing 1.9.x in the terminal logs looked odd :D
  • Has anyone seen a good blog post for dealing with a situation like this?
  • Can I just run the 18.04 (Bionic) commands for Archivematica v.1.13.0 over top of what I've already done?
    • Note: I chose not to install elasticsearch, and I didn't get past steps #6-7 for the Storage Service because of 'unable to locate package' error messages.
  • Or are there a few commands I should run to uninstall the 16.04 (Xenial) repositories first?
Thanks for any assistance,
Bruce

Bruce Le Smith

Sep 2, 2021, 9:11:48 PM9/2/21
to archivematica
Hey all,

Two questions:
1. Does anyone know a command/script to query https://packages.archivematica.org/1.13.x and get a list of contents? When I try to go to that domain in a web browser I just get a blank screen.
2. Can anyone point to some lines of code in GitHub that I can read through, so I can try and figure out where the archivematica-storage-service package should be found on Ubuntu server 18.04 during installation?

Background:
I decided to just run the manual installation for Archivematica v.1.13 for 18.04.x (Bionic) over top of what I did a week and a half ago, because if it failed I'd end up at the same spot anyways. Before I did that I did some research and it seemed there's no simple 'revert to factory settings' button or script for Ubuntu server. It's either (i) hunt and fix directories, files and configuration settings, or (ii) do a fresh flash of the server.

Manual install steps 1, 3 and 4 didn't return any error message (even though they do seem to explicitly quote an AMD64 architecture), and I skipped elasticsearch for now, but:
  • Step 6 returned "E: Unable to locate package archivematica-storage-service", and
  • Step 7 returned "ln: failed to create symbolic link 'etc/nginx/sites-enabled/storate': No such file or directory"
I feel like if I could just get my eyes/hands on the archivematica-storage-service package I could keep hacking away at my weird Dev server :)

Any other ideas welcome. I'm working on getting a "normal" machine with an intel/amd cpu, but until then I might as well keep tinkering at my little Raspberry Pi experiment. I thought it would so much fun to have a digital archives in my pocket! Wouldn't that be a cool little take away from a workshop?

Thanks!

Bruce Le Smith

Sep 2, 2021, 9:15:54 PM9/2/21
to archivematica
Oh geez, scratch the first question, of course I can see an index now at https://packages.archivematica.org/1.13.x/. I'll take a look through those directories on the weekend. I was just trying the domain the last time https://packages.archivematica.org/

But any other helpful ideas or experiments welcome!