FITS and Characterize and extract metadata on submission documentation

Joseph Anderson

May 17, 2021, 1:15:45 PM5/17/21
to archivematica
Hello

I'm having a strange problem: just all of a sudden, whenever I process a transfer it gets stuck at the 'Characterize and extract metadata on submission documentation' step. It seems to be related to FITS. When it's stuck like this, if I restart FITS from the command line it causes the step to fail, but will then move on at least, otherwise it will hang indefinitely. I'm using 'sudo service fits-nailgun restart' to restart it. I've tried running FITS directly from the command line on a file and it seems to work, so unclear what's happening here exactly. It also will work without a problem when I disable FITS in the FPR.

It wasn't getting hung up on this step just days ago, so it's unclear what changed exactly. I upgraded a few weeks ago to 1.12.1 and didn't have any problems initially. I've also tried rebooting the whole server, nothing seems to work. Only disabling FITS seems to do it.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Best,

Joseph

Joseph Anderson

Jun 16, 2021, 11:08:13 AM6/16/21
to archivematica
Just wanted to re-up on chance anyone else is seeing this problem.

sergio...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2021, 7:47:06 AM9/17/21
to archivematica
Hi,

suddently I have this issue. Hod did you solve it? I cannot ingest files.
Thank you
Sergio

Joseph Anderson

Sep 17, 2021, 9:53:15 AM9/17/21
to archivematica
Well, I never really solved the issue in regards to FITS derping out and never got any feedback, so I needed to just leave it at disabling FITS entirely. From what I found in the issues repo, there was discussion about turning FITS off by default for characterization which made me feel comfortable about leaving it as that: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/933 You can disable it under the preservation planning tab, and then restart your system to get things running again.

I've recently upgrade to the latest version of Archivematica and thought about reenabling to see if it works again, but haven't got around to it.

-Joseph