Create AtoM Directory

Tatiana Canelhas

Mar 25, 2021, 4:51:41 PM3/25/21
to archivematica
Hi group,

i am trying to create something simple, with directory and items from archivematica to atom, with a simple structure

(diretory) xxx
|_(item) yyy
|_(item) zzz

And they all are described in metadata-csv (directory and items).

But when sending to atom, the directory is not created and the items just go under the slug.

I tryed using your sampleTransfer - CSVmultiLevel, and even this one didn´t work.

Is this possible???

Thanks,
Tatiana Canelhas

Tatiana Canelhas

Mar 29, 2021, 10:10:57 AM3/29/21
to archivematica
Look what i found out:
"If you choose not to assign levels of description to directories in SIP arrange, AtoM will flatten the DIP so that all digital objects are child-level descriptions of the target description."

So, is there a way to add the level of descripton, say in the Metadata csv ou create a struct map with this information?
I am asking because the only way I know how to do this is by the appraisal tab. But I am using archivematica automatically.

Thanks,
Tatiana Canelhas

romain guedj

Mar 30, 2021, 6:09:50 AM3/30/21
to archivematica
Hi All,

We also face the same challenge.
We look for a way to create automatically a mets_structmap.xml file and then add it into metadat folder of a packet.

Cheers,

Romain

Tatiana Canelhas

Mar 30, 2021, 8:22:27 AM3/30/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
I believe we could build some program code to create the struct map. But will it work? Will it create the hierarchy i need?

Tatiana Canelhas

Mar 30, 2021, 8:27:02 AM3/30/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
I assigned a level of description in the appraisal tab, but no directory was created. It changed the level of description of my slug though (with the one i chose in am).

 :(

romain guedj

Mar 30, 2021, 8:30:39 AM3/30/21
to archivematica
From my side, AtoM flatten hierarchical directories I have created manually in Appraisal.
The level of description assigned through Arrangement has been preserved but the hierachy is flat in AtoM.

romain guedj

Mar 30, 2021, 8:33:10 AM3/30/21
to archivematica
and no directory has been preserved in AtoM as well.

romain guedj

Apr 1, 2021, 1:47:38 AM4/1/21
to archivematica
The only way to preserve hierarchy into AtoM I found is to run the microservice   document empty directories . Then AtoM provides the orginal hierarchy of your SIP but all files have been removed. ;-)

No solution found yet.

Tatiana Canelhas

Apr 1, 2021, 4:20:48 AM4/1/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Romain, thanks.
But this is already there, and still no directory.

:(

romain guedj

May 25, 2021, 10:42:14 AM5/25/21
to archivematica
Hi Tatiana,

We are currently developping some code to avoid AtoM flatens orginal hierarchy of packets.

We need to do some testings before to relase the code.

Cheers,

Romain

Tatiana Canelhas

May 25, 2021, 11:40:00 AM5/25/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Romain,

We've find out how to use a personalized structure map and atom created the directory as we wanted.

The structure has its type as hierarchy.

Tatiana Canelhas

Guedj Romain

May 26, 2021, 3:07:02 AM5/26/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tatiana,

Great, it would be interesting to compare both solutions.

We have not got good results by using type=”hierarchical”.

We managed to keep hierarchy with <mets:structMap ID="structMap_2" LABEL="Normative Directory Structure" TYPE="logical"> but with two down sides: names were normalized and all folders (metadata and submissionDocumentation) were created in AtoM. Our goal is to keep original names with diacritic character and original structure in AtoM.
So we developed our own type which is activated by a trigger based on a metadata located in metadata.csv file.

Cheers,

Meilleures salutations

Romain Guedj, e-Archiviste

Romain...@fr.ch, T +41 26 305 13 74

Bibliothèque cantonale et universitaire BCU

Kantons- und Universitätsbibliothek KUB

Secteur technologies du web et infrastructure informatique

Abteilung Webtechnologien und Informatik-Infrastruktur

Rue de la Carrière 22, Case postale, 1701 Fribourg

T +41 26 305 13 33, www.fr.ch/bcuf

Direction de l’instruction publique, de la culture et du sport DICS

Direktion für Erziehung, Kultur und Sport EKSD

ETAT DE FRIBOURG

STAAT FREIBURG

P Be green ! Keep it on the screen…

Feb 24, 2022, 8:13:41 AM2/24/22
to archivematica

Hi all,

it was something like this:

<mets:mets xmlns:mets="http://www.loc.gov/METS/">
  <mets:structMap TYPE="logical" ID="structMap_3" LABEL="Hierarchical">
    <mets:div TYPE="file" LABEL="TITLE_OF_THE_DIRECTORY">
        <mets:div TYPE="Item" LABEL="TITLE_OF_FIRST_ITEM">
            <mets:fptr CONTENTIDS="objects/FIRST_ITEM.EXTENSION"/>
        </mets:div>
        <mets:div TYPE="Item" LABEL=" TITLE_OF_SECOND_ITEM ">
            <mets:fptr CONTENTIDS="objects/SECOND_ITEM.EXTENSION  "/>
        </mets:div>
    </mets:div>
  </mets:structMap>
</mets:mets>

I am trying now to filled out the directory metadata from metadata.json or csv.
The item's metadata are working fine, but the directory is not.

Does anyone know how to do it?

I am trying to figure out what archivematica does when we add metadata from users interface, because that way works. It creates the directory level and sends the metadata do AtoM.

Thanks,
Tatiana Canelhas

romain guedj

Mar 1, 2022, 5:58:45 AM3/1/22
to archivematica
Hi All,

 We have developped our own solution to preserve both elements of an archive in AtoM :

- original names of folder and files (diacritic characters)

- original structure of folder hierarchy.

We forked AtoM to change AtoM behaviour to preserve those elements above when a trigger is present.

The trigger is defined in the metadata.csv file.

This solution could be much more elegant and wider open to various needs or contexts but it works.

Requirement :

- input packet must be a bag with a specific structure.

- if you use an automation tool, you may need to modify the conf of your automation line by adding or modify the following argument. The transfer type must be defined as : --transfer-type 'unzipped bag'

GitHub - artefactual/automation-tools: Tools to aid automation of Archivematica and AtoM.

- modify metadata.csv

Bag structure

Our input packet for archiving a fond is a bag. So an input looks like

xxxxx@bcuipres01_qa:~/FD-KEHREN-OBERSON-ARCHNUMFR_6932-0114$ tree -L 3

.

├── bag-info.txt

├── bagit.txt

├── data

│   └── skip-transfer-directory

│   └── VOL 13.9.07

├── manifest-md5.txt

├── metadata

│   └── metadata.csv

├── processingMCP.xml

└── tagmanifest-md5.txt

VOL 13.9.07 is one of the folders at the root of the original fonds. This folder contains multiple subfolders (not shown in this tree).

We did not managed to keep the original subfolder of the first level in AtoM (exemple here VOL 13.9.07). Our workaround was to create an intermediate folder called skip-transfer-directory between data and original folder of the archive into the bag. (see tree above)

We use to produce one bag per root folder. This archive was delivered on a HD containing 135 folders so we created 135 bags.

We have created a tool to create automatically those specific bags from an archive. BCUF/fd_bagger (github.com)

Metadata file

metadata.csv looks like

parts,dc.title,dc.identifier,bcu.process

objects/,FD-KEHREN-OBERSON-ARCHNUMFR_6932-0114,ARCHNUMFR 6932-0114,hierarchical

Our homemade trigger is bcu.brocess and the value is hierarchical.

When AtoM receives the DIP, it won’t flatten the structure of the archive because the trigger hierarchical is being identified through the METS file.

<mets:dmdSec ID="dmdSec_3">
<mets:mdWrap MDTYPE="OTHER" OTHERMDTYPE="CUSTOM">
<mets:xmlData>
<bcu_process>hierarchical</bcu_process>
</mets:xmlData>
</mets:mdWrap>
</mets:dmdSec>

Then we add a new behavior (see the commit at GitHub - BCUF/atom at stable/2.6.x )

- to get the original names of files and folder

- to remove the intermediate folder created in the bag ( skip-transfer-directory )

See attached capture of original folder of the archive, bag structure and the result in AtoM
2022-03-01 11_53_13-Window.png

xxxxx@bcuipres01_qa:~/montage/transfert/deja_traite_dans_archivematica/FD-KEHREN-OBERSON-ARCHNUMFR_6932-0003$ tree
.
├── bag-info.txt
├── bagit.txt
├── data
│   └── skip-transfer-directory
│       └── 1er Communion REMAUFENS 2008
│           ├── GROUPE
│           │   ├── FINAL 20-30.jpg
│           │   ├── FINAL 20-30.psd
│           │   ├── G6SS8044.DCR