m4a

Dud Noman

Jun 9, 2021, 6:34:26 AM6/9/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Does anybody know what the default normalization rules for m4a audio files are?
Thanks!
Malcolm

Guedj Romain

Jun 9, 2021, 6:45:51 AM6/9/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

It should be for Preservation [URLForYourArchivematica]/fpr/fprule/aae4f3f1-83a8-4427-9385-493d46c67f2d/

Cheers,

Romain

Meilleures salutations

Romain Guedj, e-Archiviste

Romain...@fr.ch, T +41 26 305 13 74

Bibliothèque cantonale et universitaire BCU

Kantons- und Universitätsbibliothek KUB

Secteur technologies du web et infrastructure informatique

Abteilung Webtechnologien und Informatik-Infrastruktur

Rue de la Carrière 22, Case postale, 1701 Fribourg

T +41 26 305 13 33, www.fr.ch/bcuf

Direction de l’instruction publique, de la culture et du sport DICS

Direktion für Erziehung, Kultur und Sport EKSD

ETAT DE FRIBOURG

STAAT FREIBURG

P Be green ! Keep it on the screen…

Jun 9, 2021, 6:54:03 AM6/9/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Malcom,

May be we do not share the same UUID fprule
😉

So the command for the preservation rule normalization is

#!/bin/bash

inputFile="%fileFullName%"

outputFile="%outputDirectory%%prefix%%fileName%%postfix%.mkv"

audioCodec="pcm_s16le"

videoCodec="ffv1 -level 3"

command="ffmpeg -vsync passthrough -i \"${inputFile}\" "

command="${command} -vcodec ${videoCodec} -g 1 "

command="${command} -acodec ${audioCodec}"

command="${command} ${outputFile}"

echo $command

eval $command

You would find the rule by searching it with “MPEG-4” in Preservation planning tab >

(left menu) : Normalization > Rules

Cheers,

Meilleures salutations

Romain Guedj, e-Archiviste

Romain...@fr.ch, T +41 26 305 13 74

Bibliothèque cantonale et universitaire BCU

Kantons- und Universitätsbibliothek KUB

Secteur technologies du web et infrastructure informatique

Abteilung Webtechnologien und Informatik-Infrastruktur

Rue de la Carrière 22, Case postale, 1701 Fribourg

T +41 26 305 13 33, www.fr.ch/bcuf

Direction de l’instruction publique, de la culture et du sport DICS

Direktion für Erziehung, Kultur und Sport EKSD

ETAT DE FRIBOURG

STAAT FREIBURG

P Be green ! Keep it on the screen…

Jun 9, 2021, 7:14:15 AM6/9/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Romain, that helped me find it.

I enabled the normalisation rule for mpeg-4 video (transcode to mkv) but when I processed the audio mp4 file it did not perform any nomalisation - perhaps a normalisation rule for mpeg-4 audio files does not exist in archivematica?

Thanks,
Malcolm

Guedj Romain

Jun 9, 2021, 7:28:39 AM6/9/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Sorry I read your first message too quickly.

The extension file you have is m4a recognized as
fmt/596. Actually it seems there is no rule in the normalization rules by default for transcoding audio file based on apple Lossless audio codec in archivematica.

You may need to create one.

Cheers,

Envoyé : mercredi 9 juin 2021 13:16
À : archiv...@googlegroups.com
Objet : Re: [archivematica] m4a

Dud Noman

Jun 9, 2021, 7:41:00 AM6/9/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

Guedj Romain

Jun 9, 2021, 7:45:08 AM6/9/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

You could also have a look at the mets.xml file to check how archivematica has identified your file as:
- fmt/199 (video format with m4a extension based on archivematica)

- fmt/596 for an audio file with apple lossless audio codec with .m4a extension.

Envoyé : mercredi 9 juin 2021 13:16
À : archiv...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Romain, that helped me find it.

Dud Noman

Jun 9, 2021, 7:54:42 AM6/9/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Romain,

Good idea. The mets file indicates that archivematica identified its PRONOM ID as fmt/357

Thanks,
Malcolm

Guedj Romain

Jun 9, 2021, 8:04:40 AM6/9/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

Interesting! You may need to create access and preservation rule for this fmt/597 and see how it goes through it.

Cheers,

Romain

Envoyé : mercredi 9 juin 2021 13:56

Dud Noman

Jul 13, 2021, 6:00:35 AM7/13/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Romain

I created a preservation and access rules for fmt/357and fmt/597and it worked nicely!

Weirdly, i also have an audio file from the same source, this time with an aac extension, which siegfried can't identify. Anyone got any ideas of something I can try to enable file format identification?

Thanks and best wishes,
Malcolm

Guedj Romain

Jul 13, 2021, 7:09:29 AM7/13/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

Hi Malcom,

Siegfried can not identified it because it is based on Pronom database which does not provide data for aac extension file.

Can you read the file with VLC ?

You can check the aac file out through MediaInfo software and see how it goes first.
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

You could also try to rename the file extension from .aac to .m4a or mp4 and re-transfer it to Archivematica with a note in submissionDocumentation to record this minor change done for ingesting.

I hope this helps…

Envoyé : mardi 13 juillet 2021 12:02

Dud Noman

Jul 13, 2021, 1:54:37 PM7/13/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Romain,

Mediainfo identifies it as ADTS/AAC LC (see screenshot below)

Thanks for the suggestion about renaming - this didn't seem to work, file identification failed again

It opened in VLC so I used the 'convert/save' function to normalise the file to an mp3 and transferred to archivematica - this worked, both file identification and normalisation microservices completed successfully

Thanks again for all your help

Best wishes,
Malcolm
image.png

Guedj Romain

Jul 14, 2021, 3:34:41 AM7/14/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Malcolm for your feedback.

Both renaming fails (MP4 and m4a) ?

Have you tried to rename it with mp3 too (without conversion) ?
I am not familiar on the detailed identification process of Siegfried. I am sorry I do not know why Siegfried failed. Siegfried seems to work from mime types as well and aac is pretty well known and documented :
https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/audio/aac

If your file is shareable, I would be interesting to make some tests and keep it as an study case of possible failure. If so I could send you a link for uploading.

Have a great day.

Cheers,

Meilleures salutations

Romain Guedj, e-Archiviste

Romain...@fr.ch, T +41 26 305 13 74

Bibliothèque cantonale et universitaire BCU

Kantons- und Universitätsbibliothek KUB

Secteur technologies du web et infrastructure informatique

Abteilung Webtechnologien und Informatik-Infrastruktur

Rue de la Carrière 22, Case postale, 1701 Fribourg

T +41 26 305 13 33, www.fr.ch/bcuf

Direction de l’instruction publique, de la culture et du sport DICS

Direktion für Erziehung, Kultur und Sport EKSD

ETAT DE FRIBOURG

STAAT FREIBURG

P Be green ! Keep it on the screen…

Dud Noman

Jul 14, 2021, 8:50:23 AM7/14/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Romain

Yes identification failed when renamed both m4a and mp4, unfortunately. I've also just tried renaming the file extension .mp3 without converting but file identification has failed again.

The file is shareable and I will gladly upload if you ae happy to inspect the file.

Have a good day
Thanks,
Malcolm