Archivematica 1.13/Storage Service 0.18 released

Sarah Romkey

Jul 12, 2021, 12:27:42 PM7/12/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Dear Archivematica community,

We're pleased to announce the 1.13 release of Archivematica and the 0.18 release of the Storage Service. This release marks a significant moment for Archivematica's maintainability, as it now runs on Python 3. This was a big effort amongst developers from both Artefactual Systems and in the community as well- we'd like especially to thank Wellcome Collection for lending a great many developer hours to this upgrade.

We have also decided to make MySQL the default in the Storage Service (instead of Sqlite which was the default previously). MySQL is already required by Archivematica, and in Artefactual's experience MySQL offers scalability enhancement in a number of our clients' systems, and also reduces our maintenance burden to have both components using the same database system.

In addition to these upgrades there are a number of useful features and enhancements and as always a round of bug-fixes.  Full details are here: https://wiki.archivematica.org/Archivematica_1.13.0_and_Storage_Service_0.18.0_release_notes but here are some highlights:

- You can now disable virus scanning in the processing configuration (thank you to Bodleian Library for this contribution!)
- Configurable validation for strong passwords (thank you to sponsor City of Winnipeg Archives!)
- Audit logging capability (with the use of a third party application- also thank you to sponsor City of Winnipeg Archives!)
- DIP storage locations in S3 spaces (thank you to Fashion Institute Technology NYC for this contribution!)

Happy installing and upgrading- feel free to leave feedback here or via Github issues.

Cheers,

Sarah

Sarah Romkey, MAS,MLIS
Archivematica Program Manager
@archivematica / @accesstomemory

Joseph Anderson

Jul 15, 2021, 10:49:15 AM7/15/21
to archivematica
I ran into a funny little problem with the upgrade to v 1.13 that I thought I would share in case anyone else is going through it. I got the upgrade working, but the last few days coming into work, whenever I hopped onto to archivematica, I noticed the storage service was down, which I thought was funny, but it would work perfectly fine if I manually restarted the service, ie systemctl restart archivematica-storage-service. Did some more investigating and realized that our server is set up to restart every night after a backup, and when I checked the status of the archivematica-storage-service, it showed it was failing because it could connect to mysql. But then the mariadb service was working perfectly fine.

Anyhow, long story short: after the nightly reboot, it seems that the storage service was starting before mariadb which it is now dependent on because it doesn't use SQLite anymore as it did previously. So it's an easy fix to tell the service to wait until mariadb starts first. See details here in the issues. Would create a pull request but I think file is part of the package rather than the repo itself.

Best,

Joseph

Sarah Romkey

Jul 15, 2021, 10:55:16 AM7/15/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the report Joseph, really appreciate it!