Information required for DP solution??

Sean Macmillan

Nov 10, 2022, 8:06:26 AM11/10/22
to archivematica

Hello,

I am Sean Macmillan the Digital Collections Manager at King’s College London, Libraries and Collections. We are currently undertaking an audit of Digital Preservation capacity and needs, which included collecting information on what resources we have and the size of them etc. one option we are likely to explore is the use of a digital preservation solution.

My reason for reaching out to you, is to ask what information one would need in order to give an accurate quote or plan for the use of a system such as Archivematica.

For example, we intend to collect data on how much content we have that needs to be preserved for the next 3-5 years (i.e. 5-6 terabytes), and what the expected rate of growth will be (for example 1 TB  a month).

Is there any other information you would recommend collecting???

Best,

Sean

Alan Webber

Nov 10, 2022, 9:13:38 AM11/10/22
to archivematica
Hi Sean, we just started using TreeTest for an audit to plan our Archivematica workflow at The New School. It is helpful to generate reports on specific files and collections that are very large in size, and will not go through ingestion with our regular Archivematica account. We can thus plan to request a temporary bandwidth increase for those files/collections. It is also helpful in identifying older collections, which contain endangered file formats, a priority for preservation.

Alan Webber

Nov 11, 2022, 9:14:41 AM11/11/22
to archivematica
*TreeSize